Mystery Science Theater 3000

A place where all classic TV is reborn.

Which character from the original seasons of mst3k is your favorite?

Joel
No votes
Cambot
No votes
Gypsy
No votes
Tom Servo
50%
Crow
50%

Total votes: 2

Kitty

Mystery Science Theater 3000

Post by Kitty »

MST3K1988.jpg
MST3K1988.jpg (66.6 KiB) Viewed 4022 times
I am currently obsessed with Mystery Science Theater 3000. I'm watching all the episodes I can get my hands on! My favorite character is Tom Servo. So far I have watched 8 episodes, and I'm finding I'm actually liking some of these so-called "bad" movies that they make fun of to stay sane on the Spaceship of Love. Some of their jokes make me laugh hard! My favorite movie so far has been The Crawling Hand, where the monster is the hand of a murderous astronaut. It has that cool beatnik feel to it, the same feel that I got when I watched Buckets of Blood, (a movie that I absolutely love) which was just a few years earlier.

Which movies stick out in your mind?
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: Mystery Science Theater 3000

Post by donnie »

I don't know what this is. :?: (Sorry! :oops: ) Is it a show that's currently on?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Tue May 30, 2017 8:05 pm
I don't know what this is. :?: (Sorry! :oops: ) Is it a show that's currently on?
Oh my goodness!!! You don't?! Well you're in for a nice explanation then. :lol:
Well this is a show where full length bad B movies are shown while a human and two robots riff on it. It was on for 11 seasons, including a revival on Netflix with a new season that came out in April. I'm watching it from the first season on network tv in 1989. It's funny and sometimes the movies are loveable, yet still bad. Its so fun to watch. The theme song says it best.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcUkKltAidM

In the not-too-distant future --
Next Sunday A.D. --
There was a guy named Joel,
Not too different from you or me.
He worked at Gizmonic Institute,
Just another face in a red jumpsuit.
He did a good job cleaning up the place,
But his bosses didn't like him
So they shot him into space.

We'll send him cheesy movies,
The worst we can find (la-la-la).
He'll have to sit and watch them all,
And we'll monitor his mind (la-la-la).
Now keep in mind Joel can't control
Where the movies begin or end (la-la-la)
Because he used those special parts
To make his robot friends.

Robot Roll Call: (All right, let's go!)
Cambot! (Pan left!)
Gypsy! (Hi, girl!)
Tom Servo! (What a cool guy!)
Croooow! (He's a wisecracker.)

If you're wondering how he eats and breathes
and other science facts (la la la),
Then repeat to yourself, "It's just a show,
I should really just relax
For Mystery Science Theater 3000!"
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

:lol: Certainly looks unique! Thanks for the explanation.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

No problem! I think they're on dvd. You should try it out.

dachshundonstilts

Post by dachshundonstilts »

Kitty, have you seen any of the new episodes with Jonah? I've just watched the first one so far, but I donated heavily to their Kickstarter.

Currently I'm watching through the original KTMA episodes for the first time, to see how it all took shape (spoiler: Basically it all suddenly falls into place during episode 6 when Servo's voice changes). Fortunately all the episodes are out there except for 3 (of which only the host segments seem to be available).
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I didn't realize the KTMA episodes were available! I've watched the first 8 episodes of the official first season. I have not watched the newer, as I am one of those that likes to watch from the beginning! I'm going to look for those earlier episodes.

Edit: did you know the first two episodes are available? I don't know if the third one has been found yet.
http://nerdist.com/two-lost-mystery-sci ... unearthed/

dachshundonstilts

Post by dachshundonstilts »

Yes, I've downloaded those first two and also have "episode zero," the short pilot Joel made to sell the idea. I have the rest of the collection (except the bulk of 3) from various sources. Contact me if you're interested and I'll be glad to assist you.
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)