Theme Songs

A place where all classic TV is reborn.
donnie

Re: Theme Songs

Post by donnie »

Yes, same song. They were still using that in the 60's in Chevy commercials. I didn't realize she'd sung it that far back.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I've seen a few episodes of the Dinah Shore Chevy Show in my lifetime courtesy of MeTV. I'll tell ya, that channel, although they don't always have the best quality copies, is like the old TVLand. Boy do I miss that channel the way it used to be.

Well, the theme was, as we have said, See the USA in Your Chevrolet.
She would perform this song in the beginning of the show as the theme, and at the end she'd send us off with a kiss singing and I quote: "See the USA in your Chevrolet, America's the greatest land of all MWAH!" and give the audience a big 🦋 😘!

I know she was supposed to be for the camera, but I feel that Dinah Shore was over the top insanely happy in this show. Whether it is real or not is hard to tell, but boy is she trying really hard with this show. I've said a few times to those who have no idea what I'm talking about that she seemed to be a performing monkey for NBC and Chevrolet. What do you think? Well, here's the theme in full!
https://youtu.be/qhR8GZ_WWMM
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Well, I don't know, I'm not really that familiar with Dinah Shore's activities in that era, but she certainly does a good job with that song. I'll bet that helped sell a lot of Chevies! In the 60's commercial version, the singer is not shown (I don't think), just the cars, and I can't remember if she's the one singing the song or not.

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

donnie wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:01 pm
That's interesting! I never knew those had words, though I think I like them better as instrumentals—maybe just because that's what I'm used to.

The Andy Griffith Show is my favorite that has ever been on TV, bar none. I have seen every episode no telling how many times and can almost recite the dialogue. The first season or two was a little corny, and the color episodes, though good, are not as classic as the B&W ones. The middle seasons are the best—the writing and character development in those was superb. So different from many of the sitcoms now which seem to just consist of wise-cracking punch lines every 10 seconds.

Bonanza was popular at our house too. We never missed it. Remember how it used to be sponsored by Chevrolet? See the USA, in your Chevrolet...
Kerosene cucumbers :lol:
I love the first few years, I must like corn, when Barney is there and Opie is so small and Goober hasn't arrived yet. We still watch The Andy Griffith Show too, I love Floyd the Barber. I liked it best when Gomer and Barney are on the show, but I watch them all.

I used to have the Pink Floyd shirt and I want the Knottsferatu one now.

Kitty I think Diana Shore was certainly exuberantly selling the product and for the time it must have been what people wanted. She is a little too "happy sappy" for me.
41jKBbTzWoL._SX342_.jpg
41jKBbTzWoL._SX342_.jpg (16.36 KiB) Viewed 5586 times
Attachments
Knottsferatu.jpg
Knottsferatu.jpg (47.62 KiB) Viewed 5586 times
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

donnie

Post by donnie »

:lol: Those are great! Yes, Floyd is one of my favorite characters, too. He is—I'm trying to think of the right word—delightfully apart in his own reality. (As my wife says I am. Ask me if I care. :lol: ) And Gomer is delightful, too. In fact, having grown up in a small Southern town, I think every character on that show is an amalgam of people I grew up around. There are just so many little details, lines, character traits, etc., that ring true. I've read that Andy Griffith was really fanatically insistent on making it realistic.

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

donnie wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:48 am
:lol: Those are great! Yes, Floyd is one of my favorite characters, too. He is—I'm trying to think of the right word—delightfully apart in his own reality. (As my wife says I am. Ask me if I care. :lol: ) And Gomer is delightful, too. In fact, having grown up in a small Southern town, I think every character on that show is an amalgam of people I grew up around. There are just so many little details, lines, character traits, etc., that ring true. I've read that Andy Griffith was really fanatically insistent on making it realistic.
Let me help you out, Floyd is a male Flibbertigibbit and I'm stealing your wife's analysis of you for myself, delightly apart in my own reality.

Andy Griffith was a national treasure. Please watch A Face in The Crowd sometime, you will see a side of Griffith you have seen before. He is an extremely consummate actor and glad he mainly stayed with humor, but he could have been anything he wanted to play. Andy's performance is riveting!

https://youtu.be/mJGUm9e_BLU

Here's a scene.

https://youtu.be/XaLQMs_VDLw

donnie

Post by donnie »

Mrs. Danvers wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:05 am
Let me help you out, Floyd is a male Flibbertigibbit and I'm stealing your wife's analysis of you for myself, delightly apart in my own reality.

Andy Griffith was a national treasure. Please watch A Face in The Crowd sometime, you will see a side of Griffith you have seen before. He is an extremely consummate actor and glad he mainly stayed with humor, but he could have been anything he wanted to play. Andy's performance is riveting!
Yes, flibbertigibbit. Feel free to steal away! :D

I've heard Griffith's performance in film was great. Those are intriguing clips. He played a most disturbing character, it appears.

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

donnie wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:39 am
Mrs. Danvers wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:05 am

Yes, flibbertigibbit. Feel free to steal away! :D

I've heard Griffith's performance in film was great. Those are intriguing clips. He played a most disturbing character, it appears.
Seriously I can't recommend this movie enough. It's a brilliant social commentary and is just as relevant today. Andy really went to the dark side in this role and was mesmerizing.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Howard McNear who played Floyd the Barber, played Slim Picking and Samuel Seal in the Cinnamon Bear! I think the next show I'll watch is Andy Griffith. Let's see if it's as good as you say!
When I hear the word flibbertigibbet I can't help but think of Sound of Music.
I like that Knottsferatu shirt!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yes, I had forgotten that about Howard McNear! :D