Beat the Clock

Kitty

Re: Beat the Clock

Post by Kitty »

I am always very interested in the people who appeared on old gameshows on tv and radio. I like to see if they are still alive or what kinds of lives they turned out to have. One couple that appeared on an episode of Beat the Clock were an engaged couple named Joan Becht and Steve Pamas. It's amazing how easy it is to find information on the contestants. This is mainly because Bud very often said their names very clearly and even spelled out the last names.
Steve died in 2012, but the comments in the condolences section are very touching. Nice to know how wonderful a couple they were and how good they were to people.

https://towersfuneralhomeny.com/tribute ... ences.html

https://m.legacy.com/obituaries/newsday ... eview=True

I could not find a death for Joan, so she may still be living.
I love to see that the contestants that are having so much fun on this show had a long marriage. 🙂
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

:D Isn't it great to find out things like that? I often watch gameshows from the 70s and 80s and wonder the same thing about what happened to them—and also what they did with the prizes. :D

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Whenever a newly married couple comes on the show, and they happen to be on their honeymoon, Bud always asks "When will the honeymoon be over?" and sometimes they cleverly answer "Never!" or "Not for a good long while" and the like. Other times they don't pick up on the joke. Other than this show, I have never heard anyone say that! I think it's a really cute thing to say. It always makes the young wives giggle.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

:) I'm one of those who probably wouldn't have picked up on it. :?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Me either!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Today I learned that Bud Collyer was the original voice of Superman for the radio show. Blown away by this fact.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yes! I think I had run across that info before, but had forgotten it. He didn't look much like Superman, but I think he would have made a good one on radio.