You Bet Your Life

Kitty

You Bet Your Life

Post by Kitty »

I just watched You Bet Your Life with Groucho Marx. This was the first time I'd ever seen this, and I'd never heard the radio show, either. This episode was from 1955 and sponsored by DeSoto. It was fascinating seeing his commercials for DeSoto.
This quiz show is a strange one. Two people, a man and a woman who are unrelated have a little chat with Groucho and he makes various entertaining jokes about some of the things they say. They are referred to as 'couples' although they most definitely have only met today and have no history together. They tell about what they do and what their jobs entail as he asks. They initially have $100 between them and they bet on which question they can answer. The more money the question is worth, the harder it is. For example if they ask for the $50 question, they lose $50 of whatever they have left if they get it wrong. If they get it right they add $50 to their total. Whichever couple has the most money after their session is over get to try for the $3000 question.
One couple got everything wrong, (which I found interesting, because they chose the category, and it seems they were they only one who did.) One couple got everything right including the $3000 question, (the woman got most of the questions right without any help), and the last couple was a 16 year old boy and a Latvian woman who lived in India for a long time, is wearing a Sari and teaches yoga. (I felt this wasn't quite fair. Although she clearly understood English, there was still a bit of a language barrier. She didn't get his jokes he made about the Sari 'What are you sari about?' and she trusted the boy to answer, who was sort of dumb "What's the name of the device that measures the atmosphere: a thermometer." :roll: and at first he tried to bet all the money.)
In all, I'd definitely watch it again. It was very interesting and pretty funny.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: You Bet Your Life

Post by donnie »

I’ve seen a couple of episodes of that—an entertaining show. Groucho’s wit is really what made that show go. I would have been uncomfortable being a contestant on it, as Groucho was so unpredictable, as in the examples you gave. But he could really be funny.

I just remembered, I saw a bit from that show a long time ago that had about the weirdest contestant I’ve ever seen on a gameshow. I’ll have to see if I can find that and will post it I can.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Ok, here it is. You have to see this contestant to believe him.
Groucho Disturbed by Crazy Eyed Guest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmnnLs0v9_s

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Oh my! That guy is either an amateur actor or high as a kite... or both! I'm guessing the lady is normal. 😂
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:16 pm
Oh my! That guy is either an amateur actor or high as a kite... or both! I'm guessing the lady is normal. 😂
Yes, she's also the smart one—she had all the answers.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I'm watching this again, and this guy is definitely on this show for laughs. If you watch closely, there are times when his face is relaxed in a normal expression, then he quickly picks it up again.

donnie

Post by donnie »

:lol: :lol: I'd forgotten all about that. Thanks for reminding me. He's hilarious.