Brace yourselves. Clara Bow is about to get a lot of attention.

Anything and everything silent photoplay!
BettyLouSpence

Brace yourselves. Clara Bow is about to get a lot of attention.

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Some days ago, Taylor Swift revealed the soundtrack for her upcoming album. The last song is titled Clara Bow. I don't listen to Taylor Swift but this whole thing has me pleased as punch. Swift is easily the biggest pop star on the planet, and this means Clara is about to get a whole lotta attention. I've even seen an article explaining who Clara was, so people are definitely interested. And, once people discover Clara, they'll discover the world of silent film as well (muahaha).

Clara's own great-granddaughter has said that the family is thrilled about the song and that Clara herself would be happy, and that's good enough for me. https://www.tmz.com/2024/02/09/clara-bo ... rack-song/

But at the end of every rainbow is a pot of crap, and the pot of crap in this case is the new, head-scratching insistence on Twitter and elsewhere that Clara Bow was bisexual/queer. If there's one thing that really makes my eye twitch, it's seeing speculation actively spread as fact. Combine that with my interest in all things Clara Bow, and I just had to type up this post as a sort of... rant? Vent?

Searching Clara's name on Twitter brings up multiple threads where people are saying that she was bisexual, and to say otherwise is queer erasure. It isn't much better typing "clara bow" into the Reddit search bar. There's a handful of threads where some Swifties were repeating the same claim. So where are people reading this?

Clara was the subject of a lot of rumors during her career. Her various romantic relationships would get publicized in the press and these escapades meshed well with her sexpot screen image. Clara's promiscuity was put front and center, which made her ripe for the gossip mill. But her famous series of "engagements" were all to men. Where do women come in?

Enter Tui Lorraine, an actress from New Zealand who immigrated to the US and became Clara Bow's best friend. She was a lesbian, and that was not a secret in Hollywood. David Stenn interviewed Tui for his Runnin' Wild biography on Clara, so we have a first hand account from a lesbian woman who was Clara's best friend. According to Tui, she had a crush on Clara. She tells us that she was attracted to her. But Tui never told Clara about it, and the reason given is that she knew Clara eventually wanted to marry a man. So she never acted on her feelings.

Of interest to us is this anecdote Tui shares:
When actor Nils Asther teased Tui about her “lovely friendship with Clara” with a “knowing, wicked grin,” Tui blushed and told the truth. “Clara adores men only,” she sighed. “Heterosexual to the core, you know.” [p 143]
Now, this is helpful, because it's a hint that Tui's friendship with Clara led to some gossip in Hollywood. We're getting somewhere.

In addition, we have another source related to Tui Lorraine: this PDF of notes on Tui's life compiled by Ian St George. We have newspaper clippings, lots of photographs, and the first chapter contains an interview from right before her death. The PDF states outright on page 71 that "they were almost certainly lovers." I'm going to throw up my hands here and say that I have no idea what that is based on, as there is no accompanying note I can find. Tui also doesn't speak of a romantic relationship with Clara in the 1993 interview in the PDFs first chapter; again, no clue.

We also know Tui wrote a memoir called The Mourning After: Memories of a Star-Crossed Spirit. She gave a copy to David Stenn, and another copy is at the Special Collections of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences in Los Angeles. The Mourning After is also cited in the bibliography to Runnin' Wild, and I think if Tui had revealed a romantic relationship with Clara, it would've ended up in Stenn's book. You always need to be very careful and have a grain of salt handy when it comes to first hand sources (especially in old Hollywood), but I see no reason to doubt the accuracy of Tui's gaydar.

All that to say, Tui and Clara's relationship sowed one of the many seeds for a tabloid that popped up three years later called The Coast Reporter. In April 1931, The Coast Reporter published an article purporting to tell all about Clara Bow's love life. And it was nasty. The Coast Reporter claimed that Clara was a drug-addled degenerate who engaged in incest, bestiality, and had sex with women (Tui Lorraine is named) as well as men.

Before anyone jumps down my throat - I am not saying that gay/lesbian sex is morally equivalent to bestiality and incest. But keep in mind that in 1931, that was sadly the mentality. It was a homophobic era. With that context, The Coast Reporter publishing that Clara had sex with women was meant as a smear.

And Clara took it as a smear. When she was shown a copy of The Coast Reporter on the Paramount lot, she ran back to her dressing room to vomit. This is why I get a bad taste in my mouth when I see people insist that she was bisexual. Yes, she was reacting to the whole "package", so to say, not the lesbian sex detail in isolation. But the new claim that she was bisexual ultimately comes from a rumor that was published as a smear.

No, Clara never explicitly said, "I am heterosexual. I exclusively seek companionship and intimacy with men." But now we're choosing to make an argument from ignorance and assume that because we haven't proved once and for all that Clara was straight, she was definitely bisexual. At that point we're entering "making shit up" territory.

What we know for certain about her life: she had many romantic relationships with men; she seemed to have genuine feelings for these men; she ultimately wanted to settle down and marry a man and have children. Given how almost painfully heterosexual her love life was, I feel it's safe to assume that Clara Bow was a straight woman. If we ever get legitimate evidence to the contrary, well, buy me the hat and I'll gladly eat it.

This weird insistence I'm seeing from some people that she was actually bisexual and saying otherwise is historical queer erasure #sapphoandherfriends 🤓👆 is just peak wishful thinking from folks that skimmed her Wiki bio, saw the "In popular culture" section mentioning rumors, and ran with it. (Which, hey. I get it. Knowing that even with a time machine I'd have no chance sucks for me, too.)

EDIT: ...and now people are saying that Clara had an affair with Dorothy Arzner. Oh, Internet, how I loathe thee.
I wish my life was a non-stop Hollywood movie show
a fantasy world of celluloid villains and heroes
Because celluloid heroes never feel any pain
and celluloid heroes never really die...

Kitty

Re: Brace yourselves. Clara Bow is about to get a lot of attention.

Post by Kitty »

Thank you for your in depth research and interesting explanation on this subject! I always appreciate your well-informed knowledge!! 😊 I don't listen to Taylor Swift, either, but I feel that she is a powerful and positive force on the youth of today. I think it's great that silent film might be seeing a resurgence. (it would be weird if I didn't 😆) Whenever silent film gets a reference in modern culture, it makes me happy. See: The Lumineers album cover Cleopatra 😁

I wanted to post a warning to anyone that might reply to this thread:

Any replies implying or explicitly displaying lgbtq hate on this forum will be deleted. The above post from Betty is not meant to spark a hate discussion. It is there to inform. We are not interested in hearing or spreading hate on this platform.

Thank you!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Thanks for your background on this! I don’t follow Taylor Swift either, but I got a heads up on the upcoming song when Lea made a Silent-ology post about it a few days ago. Yes, great to see Clara brought into the limelight again.
BettyLouSpence wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:42 am
If there's one thing that really makes my eye twitch, it's seeing speculation actively spread as fact. Combine that with my interest in all things Clara Bow, and I just had to type up this post as a sort of... rant? Vent?
Speculation actively spread as fact. Yyyyep. That would be the world we're living in. :roll: :lol: Objectivity kind of gets lost in the wash.

So it looks like the only possible substantiation would be the bit in the St George PDF statement, then. Yes, I wonder where he got that information. (For some reason I couldn't get the PDF to load, but I love photo of Clara on the cover. :))

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

That's actually Tui on the cover :P

donnie

Post by donnie »

BettyLouSpence wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:58 pm
That's actually Tui on the cover :P
Oops. :oops: Dang, looking back at that, how could I have mistaken it as Clara. Well, anyway, it's a nice portrait of Tui, then.

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Two of Clara's great-grandaughters have spoken more about the upcoming song. I've copypasted the text below.

https://people.com/clara-bow-family-rea ... ve-8579252
The family of Clara Bow is sharing their thoughts on Taylor Swift’s upcoming new song.

During the 2024 Grammys, the “Bejeweled” singer made the surprise announcement that she would be releasing her 11th studio album The Tortured Poets Department later this year. However, no one was more surprised than Bow’s family when they discovered that the late actress is the namesake of a new track.

Speaking exclusively with PEOPLE, Bow’s great-granddaughters, Nicole Sisneros and Brittany Grace Bell (who are the granddaughters of Bow’s son Rex Bell Jr.), say they were stunned when Swift revealed the album would feature a song titled “Clara Bow.”

“We could not believe it,” Sisneros says. “We were shocked and then the intrigue set in because no one from our family has been contacted or knew about this prior. We found out via the Instagram post like everybody else.” Sisneros adds that she reached out to Swift’s team but has yet to hear anything back.

“[During her Grammy speech Swift] said she was working on this the past two years so [we] just want to know what prompted it and where the connection is coming from,” Sisneros continues.

Being both mothers and longtime Swifties, Sisneros adds that the new song is extra special for her and Bell as they now get to experience it with their children.

“I took my oldest daughter to the [Eras Tour] concert and just to see it through her eyes and see this megastar who appeals to people of all ages,” Sisneros recalls. “When we told her [about the new ‘Clara Bow’ song] she was excited and looking forward to telling her little friends.”

“It's important to us to continue Clara Bow's history and pass on stories about her,” she adds. "And in both of our homes, we have original 1920s photos from her movie sets, so to pass on her legacy to our children is really important. And it seems like a great touch point too, that'll just further her story for other generations.”

Though it’s unclear what Swift’s new song will be about, Sisneros and Bell hope the new track captures the “perseverance” of their late great-grandmother. “She came from a really tough background and she really made it happen for herself,” Bell says.

“I hope she conveys a positive image of Clara Bow, which I think she will,” Bell continues. “I would imagine that Taylor uses this as a way to highlight her accomplishments, her accolades, her talent. They're both people that have really strong raw talent.”

Sisneros points out that there are many parallels between Bow and Swift, from their classic styles and signature red lips to how they dealt with intense media scrutiny in the spotlight. “Clara faced that as well and rose above and had to block it out. Her tenacity to focus on her career [is] very similar to Taylor.”

“They're both pioneers in their field,” Bell adds. “Clara Bow was one of the first really big movie stars and had to pave a way,” she says of her great-grandmother who was nicknamed the first “It girl.” “She just had that larger-than-life presence on screen and was able to portray any role. Acting back then was just you. You didn't have your voice, you didn't have sound, you didn't have special effects, crazy special makeup that we have today. It was just you and your acting ability. She had such a raw talent. So many people were just drawn to her like a moth to the flame.”

Sisneros notes that Swift is very much the modern-day personification of an “It girl.” “I think the Eras Tour solidifies that,” she says. “Truly, that one performer can carry such a load and perform at such a grueling pace. And night after night, these three, four-hour shows with 40 odd songs on a set list that has hundreds of thousands of people captivated truly shows her place in this industry."

Though Bow died in September 1965, Sisneros and Bell think their late great-grandmother would have been very protective of Swift in the same way she was of actress Marilyn Monroe.

Bell references a quote Bow previously made about the Some Like It Hot actress featured in Clara Bow: Runnin' Wild, where she said, "I never met her, but if I had, I would have tried very hard to help her, assemble as a heavy load to carry. Wouldn't one as tired, hurt and bewildered?"

Relating that same quote to Swift, Bell adds, “I think Clara Bow would feel the same kinship and protectiveness over someone who's of the same level of fame as her in dealing with the media and how heavy the crown is to carry.”

donnie

Post by donnie »

Interesting! Thanks for posting. I hope they are pleased with the song when it comes out.

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Maybe there will be demand for Her Wedding Night and Kick In to see some type of commercial release. Not holding my breath, but... *crosses fingers*

donnie

Post by donnie »

BettyLouSpence wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:34 pm
Maybe there will be demand for Her Wedding Night and Kick In to see some type of commercial release. Not holding my breath, but... *crosses fingers*
Hey, it could happen. That kind of spotlight from a major popular artist has the capability to get things moving. Maybe a dvd producer will see dollar signs? *fingers also crossed*

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:33 pm
BettyLouSpence wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:34 pm
Hey, it could happen. That kind of spotlight from a major popular artist has the capability to get things moving. Maybe a dvd producer will see dollar signs? *fingers also crossed*
It'd require Taylor to repeatedly talk about Clara, I think. We'll see! *fingers double crossed*
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)