Silents for Halloween

Anything and everything silent photoplay!
Kitty

Silents for Halloween

Post by Kitty »

What kind of scary-type films have you seen, apart from the obvious one such as Nosferatu?

Let's make a list! Maybe we can come up with ones we've never seen before.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: Silents for Halloween

Post by donnie »

Well, a good place to start is right at (or at least near) the beginning. :) Here are two shorts I recently watched, Le squelette joyeux (The Merry Skeleton, Lumière,1898) and Le diable au couvent, (The Devil in a Convent, Méliès, 1899). The first is an old favorite of mine, but this was my first time seeing the second. Since they're both shorts, I'll post them here.

As far as feature films, I'm interested in rewatching The Cat and the Canary and seeing for the first time The Bat (1926). And I always at least take a peek at The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari each year during the Hallowe'en season (though that's certainly an obvious one).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzWx8VsAJrI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-1a8N6Bq5Y

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Fritzi recommended this 1923 Finnish gothic on Twitter, The Old Baron of Rautakylä (Rautakylän vanha parooni). It's available to watch with English subs on Elonet, a website run by the Finnish National Audiovisual Institute. Unfortunately, there's no score.

The Old Baron of Rautakylä (1923) on Elonet
I wish my life was a non-stop Hollywood movie show
a fantasy world of celluloid villains and heroes
Because celluloid heroes never feel any pain
and celluloid heroes never really die...

donnie

Post by donnie »

I'll put that one on my list.

And there are two more interesting things I just ran across—The Portrait, a horror short from 1915, and one I'm really highly interested in seeing: The Haunted Castle (1921), a Murnau feature film I've somehow managed to never hear of. Both are on YouTube, though without a score, alas, on the latter. (Hmm, I wonder if the Caligari score might make a suitable fill-in...)

By the way, I did rewatch The Cat and the Canary last night. Wonderful fun, though I have to admit it was better the first time when I didn't know what was coming. :)

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Cat and the Canary is definitely due for a rewatch on my end! It's been so long since I saw it last that I don't reme,ber more than the basic plot, but that should make it more exciting :)
I wish my life was a non-stop Hollywood movie show
a fantasy world of celluloid villains and heroes
Because celluloid heroes never feel any pain
and celluloid heroes never really die...

donnie

Post by donnie »

BettyLouSpence wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:25 pm
Cat and the Canary is definitely due for a rewatch on my end! It's been so long since I saw it last that I don't reme,ber more than the basic plot, but that should make it more exciting :)
There were a lot of things I didn't remember even though it had not been a terribly long time since I originally watched it. (The plot is kind of nebulous, to an extent.) What I noticed more this time around was the fabulous lighting and cinematography. And there was such a variety of tints used that I have an impression almost of having seen a color film. I hope you get a chance to rewatch it. It's a lot of fun. :D

dachshundonstilts

Post by dachshundonstilts »

I just happened across this one, Le Manoir du Diable (Méliès 1896). It’s not particularly terrifying, but the video description calls it the first known horror film.

https://youtu.be/709RsdDSo_c
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)

donnie

Post by donnie »

dachshundonstilts wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:38 pm
I just happened across this one, Le Manoir du Diable (Méliès 1896). It’s not particularly terrifying, but the video description calls it the first known horror film.
That's an interesting one that I'd not run across. Thanks for posting. Quite a busy plot, eh? :)

By the way, I used a post of Edison's Frankenstein for a substitute score for this (starting up in about the middle). Speaking of which, that's another for this thread, so I'll link it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67ENQibFW9w

jimbrand

Post by jimbrand »

he Haunted House, silent film from 1908. Directed by Segundo de Chomón. Impressive use of stop motion tricks for era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo2EKNRIQlE

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yes, I love that one. Thanks for posting! :)