Voices of Silent Film Actors

Anything and everything silent photoplay!
donnie

Re: Louise Brooks Speaks!

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:48 pm
Isn't it interesting how you see an actor differently watching them in a talkie role as opposed to a silent role? They almost look like totally different people.
Yes, I noticed that, too. She almost looks like a different person when hearing her speak, somehow or another.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:51 pm
Yes, I noticed that, too. She almost looks like a different person when hearing her speak, somehow or another.
I think she looks like she has more life and energy! It's pretty neat to see.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GwktKVIPiOg&t=3340s

(Video should start at 55:40. If not just skip to there)

Here's Colleen Moore speaking in her final film, The Scarlet Letter (1934). It is really hard for me to pair her voice up with her image from her screen flapper heyday. I've actually heard her voice before, in the 1980 Hollywood documentary (I watched that maybe two weeks ago - it ignited a greater appreciation for silents within me, but that's another story for another day), so I'm really not sure why I'm surprised about it. I guess I'd assumed her voice had changed in old age.
I wish my life was a non-stop Hollywood movie show
a fantasy world of celluloid villains and heroes
Because celluloid heroes never feel any pain
and celluloid heroes never really die...

donnie

Post by donnie »

Wow, that is odd, isn't it? :shock: She sounds so matronly and formal here. I think her voice actually sounded much more like the former flapper in the 1980 documentary—there, though older obviously, she sounded lighter and perkier and...some other word I can't think of...:)

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0q-kHsHvJwY&

(Skip to 26:20)

Hm, I figured maybe it was the 17th century New England setting of the film, so I found this upload of Colleen in Social Register (1934). I think she sounds a bit more "familiar" here.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yes, I wondered if it was the setting of the other film, too, and the type of character. She does sound less foreign to her silent persona here, but still not exactly as I would have imagined her voice to be.

This looks like it might be an interesting film. I may check it out sometime.

By the way, wasn't that the most amusing story she told in Hollywood about learning how to talk from the vocal coach?

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Omg yes, haha! She was so endearing in her interviews for that documentary, I want to watch more films of hers. I've seen Ella Cinders and clips from Irene and Orchids and Ermine.

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

I watched the 1930 musical King of Jazz some days ago, and Laura La Plante was in two ultra-short comedy sketches in that film. That was my first time hearing her voice; I really like it!

She shows up 57 seconds into this clip from God's Gift to Women (1931). Bonus appearances by Louise Brooks and Joan Blondell!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn8oyVxhiHY

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yes, she does have really pleasing voice!

Kitty

Re: Voices of Silent Film Actors

Post by Kitty »

I decided to merge all the silent actor voice threads and just make it one thread. If you see any voice threads I missed, let me know.
Here's a cool one I heard today on my OTR channel I listen to, Classic Drama Radio. It's Information please!
I posted this in the radio section, but thought it would be a good idea to place it in the silent film section, too, since Lillian Gish is a guest today.
https://otrrlibrary.org/OTRRLib/Library ... 20Gish.mp3

Original Post:
viewtopic.php?p=18611#p18611
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)