Voices of Silent Film Actors

Anything and everything silent photoplay!
donnie

Re: Voices of Silent Film Actors

Post by donnie »

Here is Gloria Swanson singing. :) The song is Serenade, recorded 1929.

I always admired her speaking voice, but I never knew she sang. Her singing voice is quite good, too. She did have pretty pronounced vibrato, and I don't know that her style was that distinctive; but overall, I thought she put over the song very well. What do you think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ja1H69cSh4

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Thanks for sharing. I've never heard Gloria sing before, and it's not quite what I expected!
I wish my life was a non-stop Hollywood movie show
a fantasy world of celluloid villains and heroes
Because celluloid heroes never feel any pain
and celluloid heroes never really die...

donnie

Post by donnie »

BettyLouSpence wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:30 am
...and it's not quite what I expected!
How not? :)

By the way, sometimes she does a phrase in such a way that it reminds me a lot of Clara Bow's singing—although they're fundamentally different. Gloria's is a very high soprano, for one thing, which you can also hear in her speaking voice.

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

For some reason I never expected her voice to be quite that high when singing, even though as you said her speaking voice was so light.
donnie wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:39 pm
...By the way, sometimes she does a phrase in such a way that it reminds me a lot of Clara Bow's singing—although they're fundamentally different...
I wonder if that could be chalked up to how they were trained in the popular singing style of the day? That heavy vibrato seemed an indispensable feature back then; they may have been instructed to emphasize it.
I wish my life was a non-stop Hollywood movie show
a fantasy world of celluloid villains and heroes
Because celluloid heroes never feel any pain
and celluloid heroes never really die...

donnie

Post by donnie »

BettyLouSpence wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:45 am
I wonder if that could be chalked up to how they were trained in the popular singing style of the day? That heavy vibrato seemed an indispensable feature back then; they may have been instructed to emphasize it.
Yes! I think you're exactly right. And not only a heavy, but also a very fast vibrato. And those little upward glissandi on certain notes like "the sunshine" here.