Voices of Silent Film Actors

Anything and everything silent photoplay!
BettyLouSpence

Re: Louise Brooks Speaks!

Post by BettyLouSpence »

We can hear Louise Brooks' voice in God's Gift to Women (1931). Her voice sounds so lithe and musical.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C6oTprKNeVU
I wish my life was a non-stop Hollywood movie show
a fantasy world of celluloid villains and heroes
Because celluloid heroes never feel any pain
and celluloid heroes never really die...

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

She definitely took to heart her elocution lessons!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

It's always interesting to hear what silent stars sounded like in those early talkies.

I saw Blanche Sweet in one a few weeks ago—can't remember what the title was now. But she had a really nice speaking and singing voice. In another thread we discussed Jobyna Ralston's voice; it really didn't sound too much like I thought it would.

There are so many we'll never get to hear, though... I'd really like to know what Mabel Normand's voice sounded like, also Rudolph Valentino. Are there any recordings of Clara Bow, I wonder?

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

There are some of Clara Bow when she wasn't acting - she'd recite Shakespeare into her personal recorder in later years - but they're unfortunately not on YouTube. I did find a scene from Call Her Savage (1932) where I think her speaking voice sounds very relaxed.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BRBgXfZ-w9c

donnie

Post by donnie »

That's interesting. She does have a nice voice that fits her persona as an actress very well. I didn't expect to hear her speak with a New York accent, though I don't know why I wouldn't. :-)

Uh...what's that thing she takes out to bandage his head with...or should I ask? :shock:

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Looks like the collar of her shirt, but oddly enough Gilbert Roland refers to it as a "waist", if I'm hearing that correctly. I know it's not a waistcoat she's wearing but I can't think of anything else waist would refer to in this context. Unless women's shirts in early 1930s America were called waistcoats, and referred to as waists for short...? :?:

donnie

Post by donnie »

It does sound like he's saying "waist." I looked up waistcoat in Wikipedia, and the word seems to have always referred only to kinds of vests worn by men. A mystery...

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

The word waist in the US sometimes means a blouse or bodice, according to google.
I, at first, thought she was tearing off her bra, but it's definitely the ruffle of her shirt, and besides, if her bra tore that easily, she should find a new company to get them from. :lol:
Isn't it interesting how you see an actor differently watching them in a talkie role as opposed to a silent role? They almost look like totally different people.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Detective Kitty to the rescue! That's that mystery solved.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

BettyLouSpence wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:13 pm
Detective Kitty to the rescue! That's that mystery solved.

:lol: