101 Free Silent Films

Anything and everything silent photoplay!
Mrs. Danvers

101 Free Silent Films

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

There are really some outstanding movies here, many of which you more than likely have seen, you guys really have a vast knowledge of Silents. Anyway have a look.

If anybody has not seen Faust it's there! Crikey, what a treat. I own it, but if you've never watched it Wow, it's epic. And Die Nibelungen, Der Golum, Metropolis, Nosferatu and OMG ! The Lost World, the granddaddy of all monster movies. the special effect are exceptional, especially when you consider it was made in 1925.

It's like Christmas in March.

http://www.openculture.com/free-silent-films
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

donnie

Re: 101 Free Silent Films

Post by donnie »

WOW! What a treasure chest! :o :D Thanks so much for posting this. And they have scores, too!

I have not seen Faust (I've repeatedly heard that it is fantastic) nor Der Golum—and only portions of The Lost World. Will definitely have to check those out.

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

Oh goody! I'm so glad..do enjoy Faust, it would be impossible not to love it.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

It's soooo hard for me to get into Faust. I couldn't get past the beginning. I tried twice, but someday! The Golem was fantastic. I have The Lost World on DVD. Took me a couple times of falling asleep to get through it, but the stop motion is so cool. And Nosferatu is, of course, a classic.
Thank you for posting this here, Danvers!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

Kitty wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:54 pm
It's soooo hard for me to get into Faust. I couldn't get past the beginning. I tried twice, but someday! The Golem was fantastic. I have The Lost World on DVD. Took me a couple times of falling asleep to get through it, but the stop motion is so cool. And Nosferatu is, of course, a classic.
Thank you for posting this here, Danvers!
I know those kookie German Expressionists are not everybody's cup of tea. I'm a real glutton for punishment, I have watched Der Nibelungen Saga twice now in one sitting each time. The 2 movies are over 5 hours long.

Glad you liked Der Golum and Nosferatu. Have you ever seen Shadow of the Vampire, it is a homage to Nosferatu and Willem Dafoe is magical in it, he plays Max Schreck (Nosferatu). The entire cast is brilliant as is the film itself.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0189998/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Omg thank you for the suggestion! You're awesome. I so love movies like that.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

Kitty wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:37 pm
Omg thank you for the suggestion! You're awesome. I so love movies like that.
Well that makes my day! I'm excited for you to watch it sometime.

It's really realistic, I mean true to the original and there is even one small clip used from the original movie, when Jonathan Harker is being taken to the Castle, when he gets out of the carriage, it is original footage.

While checking out some of the movies, you will find some of them have been removed, but most of them are there.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Mrs. Danvers wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:26 pm
Have you ever seen Shadow of the Vampire, it is a homage to Nosferatu and Willem Dafoe is magical in it, he plays Max Schreck (Nosferatu). The entire cast is brilliant as is the film itself.

Did I tell you that I saw this movie and was blown away by it? Totally loved it!

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

Kitty wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 12:53 pm
Mrs. Danvers wrote:
Have you ever seen Shadow of the Vampire, it is a homage to Nosferatu and Willem Dafoe is magical in it, he plays Max Schreck (Nosferatu). The entire cast is brilliant as is the film itself.

Did I tell you that I saw this movie and was blown away by it? Totally loved it!
Oh I'm doing the Walter Huston Happy dance over this news.

I am so elated you watched it and were blown away. I thought it was just brilliant on so many levels and I've been absolutely in love with Willem Dafoe ever since I saw this film. I'm also a big fan of John Malkovich.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Mrs. Danvers wrote:
I'm a real glutton for punishment, I have watched Der Nibelungen Saga twice now in one sitting each time. The 2 movies are over 5 hours long.
I watched that a few years ago (but only once, and not in one sitting. :)) I thought it was most interesting. I wrote a review on the old Golden Silents site. I saved the text somewhere and will have to dig that out, because now I've forgotten the details of the plot.