Silent Shorts

Anything and everything silent photoplay!
Kitty

Re: Silent Shorts

Post by Kitty »

You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

:lol: So much for that smart aleck!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

This was posted on youtube by EYE film, therefore the intertitles are in Dutch. You wouldn't really need them, though, save for the fact that the two men look like twins! The ending is particularly touching, very good acting!!!
This is called The Golden Supper (1910), and was featured as a story in the very first Motion Picture Story Magazine, February 1911. Here is the link if you want to read it.
http://archive.org/stream/motionpicture ... 7/mode/2up
The plot is taken from the Alfred, Lord Tennyson poem, a poem entitled The Lover's Tale in four parts. Tennyson originally only distributed the first two parts in 1819, but he didn't really feel that it was very good, so he put it out of print. Others had a different opinion, though, so he finally relented in 1879, and published it again, adding the sequel of the last two parts. The action chiefly takes place in the fourth and last part of the poem.
Dorothy West plays Camilla, Edwin August is Prince Julian, Charles West plays Lionel. Other players are Clair McDowell, who plays the lady in waiting, and Grace Henderson, who plays the part of the Queen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36etIgsrCOk
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Well then! While looking up the history of King Kong, (yes, these are the things I wonder about) I discovered that Willis O'Brien created this cute short in 1915. It is a fascinating and funny stop motion film made of clay. Willis O'Brien was an artist who worked on motion pictures.
How does this have to do with King Kong, you ask? The answer is that he created the clay figure of King Kong. If you watch this 5 minute short, you will be able to see that there are definitely similarities in his 'missing link' man and the King Kong we have come to know. Very, very cool! This transfer is kind of dark, but it is better than the bright one I watched originally, because you can see the features of the characters a little better.
https://youtu.be/uUwWj4Rz94g

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Walk-You Walk is a 1912 Kalem comedy short. A man takes a girl in a ride in a car, and when she refuses to kiss him, he makes her walk all the way home. Revenge ensues.
This is a cute little short. Although badly deteriorated, it's still awesome that we can see this! The deterioration kind of adds a little ghostly feel to it.
It does not have a soundtrack to it. I would suggest reading the little summary under the video to get an idea of what's happening--unfortunately some parts are so badly decayed that it's a little hard to get what's playing out on the screen.
This film is still recommended viewing, as it's so much fun to witness how much fun it had to be to film this!!
https://youtu.be/p_u1uRylPXs

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Here is a sad, yet sweet story of a little boy who has lost his mother and his father remarries again. This is in Dutch (there sure are a lot preserved by the netherlands!) and has no music, but put on your favorite somber-type music and watch. Put yourself in the shoes of the father, and put yourself in the shoes of the little boy as the story goes on. I like to imagine what the characters would be thinking if this were a real life thing that was happening right now.
I don't know why I didn't do this before, but I decided to provide the translation of the titles to post here. The translations are not always perfect, but you can infer the meaning by watching the images on screen. I'm going to make each line a "spoiler" as to prevent accidental... um. spoilers! :lol:
A Child's Devotion - 1912 manufactured by Lubin. Starring Raymond Hackett as the little boy, Arthur V. Johnson as the father, and Lottie Briscoe as the new mother!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vSpA0Dm2lI
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:55 pm
Walk-You Walk is a 1912 Kalem comedy short. A man takes a girl in a ride in a car, and when she refuses to kiss him, he makes her walk all the way home. Revenge ensues.
This is a cute little short. Although badly deteriorated, it's still awesome that we can see this! The deterioration kind of adds a little ghostly feel to it.
It does not have a soundtrack to it. I would suggest reading the little summary under the video to get an idea of what's happening--unfortunately some parts are so badly decayed that it's a little hard to get what's playing out on the screen.
This film is still recommended viewing, as it's so much fun to witness how much fun it had to be to film this!!
That was very enjoyable! A well-made comedy. Thanks for posting it.

Those gals sure got their revenge. For a moment when they stopped the car, I thought they were going to roll it off a cliff or something.

Too bad about the extensive nitrate damage, but still good to watch. And I guess this is weird, but I actually liked it with the projector sound. :) I wonder to what extent (if any) the sets and costumes were gotten up to look Old West, and to what extent they looked that way because...it was after all 1912?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:23 pm
I wonder to what extent (if any) the sets and costumes were gotten up to look Old West, and to what extent they looked that way because...it was after all 1912?
This is just a thought, because I'm not sure, either, but Kalem did a lot of Western type films. Maybe they used some of the costumes lying around from that!

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:41 pm
Here is a sad, yet sweet story of a little boy who has lost his mother and his father remarries again. This is in Dutch (there sure are a lot preserved by the netherlands!) and has no music, but put on your favorite somber-type music and watch. Put yourself in the shoes of the father, and put yourself in the shoes of the little boy as the story goes on. I like to imagine what the characters would be thinking if this were a real life thing that was happening right now.
I don't know why I didn't do this before, but I decided to provide the translation of the titles to post here. The translations are not always perfect, but you can infer the meaning by watching the images on screen. I'm going to make each line a "spoiler" as to prevent accidental... um. spoilers! :lol:
A Child's Devotion - 1912 manufactured by Lubin. Starring Raymond Hackett as the little boy, Arthur V. Johnson as the father, and Lottie Briscoe as the new mother!
That's another well-made film. Certainly a dark story... They conveniently leave out the part explaining how the substitute child is wrested from the mother. :(

It is indeed surprising how many well-preserved films there are in the Netherlands. Thanks very much for the title translations, and for fixing them up so nicely! That was very helpful. Image

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

You're welcome I'm glad they were helpful! I know it can become too much work for most people to have to translate intertitles. I'll do that for now on!