Silent Shorts

Anything and everything silent photoplay!
Kitty

Re: Silent Shorts

Post by Kitty »

Here is the very first Frankenstein film ever made! There were two others after this and before the 1931 version. One is a lost 1915 version which clocked in at 70 minutes. It was called Life Without Soul. The other is an Italian version from 1920 which is also lost, called The Monster of Frankenstein. Here is the 1910 version! Not great quality, but we are fortunate to have this liberal adaptation. This is one of the very first silent shorts I ever saw thanks to YouTube.
https://youtu.be/HZ-OrfJHHro
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

This is a most interesting short—I'd seen it a long time ago, but enjoyed watching it again. I love the scene with the creation of the monster in the pot—kind of like a cake-baking process. :-)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:44 pm
I love the scene with the creation of the monster in the pot—kind of like a cake-baking process. :-)
Yes! That's the most memorable part of the whole thing.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

The Cursed Windmill (1909) put out by Pathe Freres, is a story about a woman who marries a miller rather than the rich man. It's actually a pretty sad story, but the reason it's of such interest is that it's in COLOR which makes it so much easier to watch because of the quality. Watch this if you have a few minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqH1IQRdZZI

SO if that makes you depressed, just watch this afterward. The end part is annoying, but the song is really funny!
(Sorry, got off topic on this one :lol:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sP4NMoJcFd4
I defy you to not be in a good mood after that!

donnie

Post by donnie »

That was a really interesting and well-made (though, yes, rather depressing) short. The acting style was extraordinarily exaggerated, even for this era. The long shot of the victim on the windmill was amazing, as was the color.

The follow-up - kind of a bizarre video. It certainly does succeed in diverting one's mind from the windmill tragedy. :)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

There are I think five of these machines at Magic Kingdom in the train station. Last time I was there, two were working correctly. Unfortunately, only one was working when I went today.

Here are a few photos of the machine.
IMG_20171208_130811106~01.jpg
IMG_20171208_130811106~01.jpg (3.1 MiB) Viewed 4188 times
IMG_20171208_131050598~01.jpg
IMG_20171208_131050598~01.jpg (3.3 MiB) Viewed 4188 times
IMG_20171208_131055971~01.jpg
IMG_20171208_131055971~01.jpg (3.24 MiB) Viewed 4188 times
I am happy that at least one was working for me to take a video of it! This one is called Play Cowboy Rodeo Time. I know nothing about it. If you have any info on it, that would be greatly appreciated. Enjoy!
https://youtu.be/MeSPHOZM_GI

donnie

Post by donnie »

That's amazing! Those are original machines, aren't they? I'm surprised they allow those to be used by the public. I can't quite make out the date after the June 28.

I'm not familiar with the film, but I can imagine how exciting it must have been in those days to see these "moving pictures" in one of those, especially since most people of that horse-drawn era would have been highly interested in rodeo doings.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Yes! I think they are authentic. It's cool that they can be used by the public (that I can do it myself!) But not cool that people break them and they're not serviced regularly.

The year says 1900 in that last one. The other years are 1895, 98, and 99. Also, I just realized that first date is my birthday!

donnie

Post by donnie »

:D Are you able to regulate the playback speed by how fast you turn the crank?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Yes, it's difficult, though, because if you turn it even slightly too fast, it goes way to quickly.