Silent Shorts

Anything and everything silent photoplay!
Kitty

Re: Silent Shorts

Post by Kitty »

You may be right, because like Fritzi said on her blog, the couple moves way too much when the important action is going on.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 8:26 pm
Kitty wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 1:45 pm
The Mender of Nets is a very interesting Biograph short from 1912 with Mary Pickford and Mabel Normand, and the man is Charles H. West. It's well acted, and I'm not sure if I've ever seen Mabel in a drama! They are both beautiful in it, particularly Pickford. She is just 20 in this. It's also of note that the scenario for this photoplay was written by the aforementioned Edwin August. I'm sorry there is no music for this, but all the others that have music are either really bad quality or music or both.
I love The Mender of Nets!! One of my favorite Biographs. This is the only serious rôle I've seen Mabel Normand in, and I think she's quite effective. I have a copy I downloaded a year or two ago that has score and a good quality picture. I'll see if I can find it. If not, I'll share it with you.

PS, how did you like my housetop on role? Just a little quaint vintage punctuation thrown in for free. ;)
I'd be very happy to see it! I actually didn't even notice it.... Maybe because I'm getting used to that quaint punctuation due to my Motion Picture Story Magazine reading. :)
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

The little housetop used to be in hôtel, too. And the umlaut—I think that's what it's called?—in coöperate. (Ok, I'm a nerd.) And were they still spelling today and tomorrow with hyphens in the magazine?

Here is the one I was thinking of. The music doesn't always match, but still fits the overall mood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guyzEZG3sc4

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Thank you. I will watch that soon. To answer your question, they don't use the hyphens for tomorrow and today, but that does remind me that in all my antique children's books they do. They're from the turn of the century and earlier.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:02 am
This is not from the silent era, it's actually from 1943. Would you believe it? The style has a very 1960s feel. Maya Deren made a few of these gorgeous shorts, the first one being Meshes of the Afternoon. It captures my imagination, and inspires me. It's like an amazing dream.
I finally remembered this. I had typed a response back when it was posted, and never submitted it. :?
Anyway, Meshes of the Afternoon is fascinating! I love experimental films full of dreamlike mood and open-ended meaning. You’re right, it does seem to have that uniquely early-60’s avant-garde feel. And when I started watching it, I realized that I had seen it a long time ago, but had forgotten about it. I’m wondering if I saw it from a posting by you on the old Korean board?? Do remember doing that? I could be wrong, but I've seen it somewhere.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 10:04 pm
I finally remembered this. I had typed a response back when it was posted, and never submitted it. :?
Anyway, Meshes of the Afternoon is fascinating! I love experimental films full of dreamlike mood and open-ended meaning. You’re right, it does seem to have that uniquely early-60’s avant-garde feel. And when I started watching it, I realized that I had seen it a long time ago, but had forgotten about it. I’m wondering if I saw it from a posting by you on the old Korean board?? Do remember doing that? I could be wrong, but I've seen it somewhere.
Actually, the curator of that board, whom I looked up to at the time, was the one who introduced me to Maya Deren. I believe it was on that second board that it was originally posted. There are at least three shorts that I know of hers. This is my favorite; I love the music, and the feeling I get is reminiscent of the feeling I used to get when I was little while reading or watching scary stories/tv shows. It's a feeling of wonder and creepiness. :lol: if that makes any sense.

normabanana1800

Post by normabanana1800 »

https://youtu.be/u4_Xasw0BmM
One Hundred Percent American 1918

Very adorable Mary Pickford

donnie

Post by donnie »

I thought I had posted a reply to this a couple of days ago, but I must never have hit the Submit button. Anyway, I love Mary Pickford in this! Her charm is really on display here, and it is a nice story and also interesting from a historical point of view.

I like the music much better on this one, though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4_Xasw0BmM

normabanana1800

Post by normabanana1800 »

The version you linked is far better. Also has sharp definition. The video I watched was blurry. :x
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gghBOdc9uwQ
Love Among Roses
I was surprised by this film's splendid cinematography.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:36 pm
One of my favorite Biograph shorts.

I don't know why I didn't watch this when it was originally posted, but I did just now and loved it!
I think there may have been a story for this in Motion Picture Story. I know it is definitely mentioned.