Voices of Silent Film Actors

Anything and everything silent photoplay!
Kitty

Voices of Silent Film Actors

Post by Kitty »

Here is a quite interesting little video of the surviving footage of Theda Bara's Cleopatra (1917) and a short 1936 Lux Radio interview. It's so neat to hear her voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjbzCcAzSSo
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: Theda Bara Speaks!

Post by donnie »

I enjoyed listening to this again. It is nice to be able to hear her voice. Interestingly, it almost sounds as if she has a trace of a Southern accent. I guess the comeback plans never materialized.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I'm not sure about the accent. She was born in Ohio and of polish and swiss parents. Yes, isn't it too bad that nothing ever came of it? Oh, and the word's 'return', not comeback. I hate that word. It's a return to the fans that never forgave me for leaving them. ahem, sorry got carried away with a quote from a different silent actress. :D :lol:
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yes, return to motion pictures! :D By the way, I recently read the biography of Theda by Eve Golden. I recommend it if you're ever interested—very well-written and entertaining. The shenanigans of the PR people who surrounded her are actually even more interesting than Theda herself!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I'll definitely look that one up!

Kitty

Louise Brooks Speaks!

Post by Kitty »

It's funny, I don't know why I really never wondered what silent stars sounded like, but it's a pretty interesting subject! Here's Louise Brooks recorded on a wax cylinder. Neat to see the machine in action, too.
https://youtu.be/P-VK_uJGn-Y

donnie

Re: Louise Brooks Speaks!

Post by donnie »

Kevin Brownlow interviewed her extensively for the Hollywood series when she was older. (Have you seen her in that?) I can't remember exactly how her voice sounded—been awhile since I've watched it—but I think it's not too different from what's on the cylinder. (Wonder when that was made?)

I read somewhere that Brownlow had a difficult time interviewing her. I can't remember the details, but the gist of it was that she was very temperamental and would easily become upset and uncooperative. I wish I could remember where I read his comments on that.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

If that is true, we have no idea what the circumstances were surrounding that interview. Perhaps she didn't want to do it in the first place, and maybe they'd promised her that it would be no trouble at all, but there were multiple problems. Who knows?
Unfortunately, there is no info on that video at all about the recording.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Here is what I was apparently thinking of. It comes from part 4 of an interview of Brownlow (see link). The whole thing looks like it might be interesting to read. The interviewer here is asking Brownlow why he had a lot of footage of Louise talking about Clara Bow, but none of her talking about herself.

http://annhardingstreasures.blogspot.co ... rt-iv.html
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-11-15 at 1.31.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-11-15 at 1.31.30 PM.png (290.77 KiB) Viewed 4309 times

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I sort of understand why she would have been annoyed!! She probably felt that it was quite rude of him, which it was!