Lillian Russell-Actress and Singer

Anything and everything silent photoplay!
Kitty

Lillian Russell-Actress and Singer

Post by Kitty »

I was reading the Answers section of the May 1913 edition of Motion Picture Story Magazine, and this delightful information was there:
Selection_001.png
Selection_001.png (23.64 KiB) Viewed 3895 times
:o :o :o
And so, here on youtube, you can see footage of renowned actress and singer Lillian Russell IN COLOR! Kinemacolor, that is. This is a snippet of her moving in color, and also this is her singing on this clip. From 1913:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQSJKCkZ8sI
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: Lillian Russell-Actress and Singer

Post by donnie »

Wow, that's fascinating! I didn't have any idea there was footage of her. I've been kind of fascinated by her ever since I saw (many years ago) the biography of her that was made in the 40's. It starred Alice Faye as Lillian, and was far enough back that it still had a few of the entertainers who had actually appeared with her early in the century.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Interesting! I never knew about that. It's pretty fascinating to learn about this.

Edit: :lol: It's literally called Lillian Russell.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Was it? I’d forgotten the exact title. So original... :D

A pretty good movie, but not very accurate, I don’t believe—not surprising because so few of those Hollywood bios are. They’re more interested in a good story than the facts.

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

That color footage of Lillian looks like an oil painting come to life.
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
~ Cicero, Letters to Friends, Book IX Letter IV

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

BettyLouSpence wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:40 pm
That color footage of Lillian looks like an oil painting come to life.
Isn't it so amazing??