Silent Ladies & Gents - Similar Alternatives?

Anything and everything silent photoplay!
BettyLouSpence

Silent Ladies & Gents - Similar Alternatives?

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Anybody remember the website Silent Ladies and Gents? It finally bit the dust sometime last year; a real shame since it was a wonderful directory of silent film stars and chock full of photos. The only way to see it again is via the Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20121006163 ... adies.com/

The only other sites I can think of that provided similar info are the Golden Silents website and the Silents Are Golden photo gallery.
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
~ Cicero, Letters to Friends, Book IX Letter IV

donnie

Re: Silent Ladies & Gents - Similar Alternatives?

Post by donnie »

Yes, I remember that site well. I had it bookmarked and used to visit it sometimes. I'm sorry to hear of its demise. Thanks for the link to the archive. I've often visited the Silents are Golden site, as well.

Are you familiar with the Silent-ology blog? If not, please check it out. Lea is a super-nice person and an extremely good writer. She always has something interesting—I hang around there quite a bit.
https://silentology.wordpress.com/

Another one I used to go to a lot, but don't frequent too much now, is:
http://moviessilently.com/

There is some site I used to like that has a large collection of hi-res photos of movies stars—sound and silent—but I remember what it is, offhand. :?:

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I follow Fritzi from moviessilently.com on Twitter. She is so nice and also a great researcher and good writer. She's also a great gif maker. Definitely try that one out! I give it my seal of approval! ☺️ If you comment, tell her Kitty at SilentPhotoplay sent you!
giphy.gif
giphy.gif (1007.36 KiB) Viewed 5408 times
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

Hello again. I love Fritzi, her series of posts with recipes of the stars is such a crack up. boy how tastes have changed since then.
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Try this site here. The curator of the site is really really nice. Lots of great content here!

http://miwi1010.tumblr.com/
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Miwi1010

Post by Miwi1010 »

Thank you for your kind recommendation. As my intention is always disclosing unknown silent films and players, it may not always be the most popular site ever. But the pleasure to disclose the work of those forgotten so long ago is really something priceless.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Miwi1010 wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:34 am
Thank you for your kind recommendation. As my intention is always disclosing unknown silent films and players, it may not always be the most popular site ever. But the pleasure to disclose the work of those forgotten so long ago is really something priceless.
You're welcome! I agree so much. This is why the early actors are so important to me. They don't deserve to be forgotten.

Miwi1010

Post by Miwi1010 »

Yes. I often find myself surprised on why some actors were forgotten. Most of them were really good, but I attribute it to the fact that 75% of silent films were lost and it made audiences lose touch with some actors. For instance, virtually 100% of films of Theda Bara are gone, with very few exceptions. Many other silent players in this same sad situation.

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Hey - nice site Miwi!
Miwi1010 wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:50 am
Yes. I often find myself surprised on why some actors were forgotten. Most of them were really good, but I attribute it to the fact that 75% of silent films were lost and it made audiences lose touch with some actors. For instance, virtually 100% of films of Theda Bara are gone, with very few exceptions. Many other silent players in this same sad situation.
^ Hitting the nail on the head.

I think that, right after the simple fact that the passage of time is merciless, this is the biggest contributor. And even if there are some extant, full-length films, they are near impossible to access - think Marie Doro, for instance.
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
~ Cicero, Letters to Friends, Book IX Letter IV

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

Miwi1010 wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:34 am
I love your website, I never tire of seeing the stars. I can spend hours at your place.

I want to see Aelita, Queen of Mars - 1924, it looks fantastic!
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!