Favorite photos of silent stars

Anything and everything silent photoplay!
Mrs. Danvers

Re: Favorite photos of silent stars

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

Oh fair warning about Eraserhead, a good review of it: A dream of dark and troubling things, guaranteed to cause permanent psychological damage ! and that's no joke! Weirdest and most disturbing film I have ever seen.

One of my favorite stars Emil Jannings having his makeup applied for his role as Mephisto in Faust.

We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

This is a really neat photo of... Guess who! Anna May Wong!
Attachments
AMW_4-568x600.png
AMW_4-568x600.png (267.87 KiB) Viewed 11615 times
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Mrs. Danvers wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:48 am
Oh fair warning about Eraserhead, a good review of it: A dream of dark and troubling things, guaranteed to cause permanent psychological damage ! and that's no joke! Weirdest and most disturbing film I have ever seen.
Think I'll be skipping that one. :? Got enough psychological damage already. 8-) :D

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

This is a picture of the players in the Kalem New York branch. August 1912 Motion Picture Story Magazine. :)
Attachments
motionpicturesto04moti_0184~01.jpg
motionpicturesto04moti_0184~01.jpg (108.63 KiB) Viewed 11611 times
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

I like that one. I don't think I would have recognized Anna Q. Nilsson without the caption, nor Alice Joyce. The one labeled Marian Cooper—I've never heard of an actress by that name. I wonder if that could be Miriam Cooper—it does resemble her. I've read her autobiography, but can't remember if she worked for Kalem.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:21 pm
I like that one. I don't think I would have recognized Anna Q. Nilsson without the caption, nor Alice Joyce. The one labeled Marian Cooper—I've never heard of an actress by that name. I wonder if that could be Miriam Cooper—it does resemble her. I've read her autobiography, but can't remember if she worked for Kalem.
Yes, she did and that's a good catch!! I didn't even realize. I thought it read Miriam.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Mary Philbin listening to the radio. Now a radio was radio in those days!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:33 pm
Mary Philbin listening to the radio. Now a radio was radio in those days!

Beautiful!!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Interesting picture! This one is from 1912 while Kalem was in Ireland. I think Kalem was extremely interesting. Gene Gauntier wrote many of their photoplays as well as acted.
Attachments
motionpicturesto04moti_0276~01.jpg
motionpicturesto04moti_0276~01.jpg (155.39 KiB) Viewed 11600 times

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Imagine my excitement when I got to this page in the September 1912 issue of Motion Picture Story Magazine. It's Mary Pickford in a Biograph! The man is listed as J. Jiquel Lanoe on IMDB. The Progressive Silent Film List states that prints exist in the Mary Pickford Institute for Film Education film collection, but I don't see it online anywhere. If anyone can find it somewhere, please post it! :)
Attachments
motionpicturesto04moti_0277~01.jpg
motionpicturesto04moti_0277~01.jpg (64.54 KiB) Viewed 11600 times