Silent Photoplay Poetry Challenge

Anything and everything silent photoplay!
Kitty

Silent Photoplay Poetry Challenge

Post by Kitty »

I'm going to challenge this forum, my blog readers, and anyone else reading this to write a little something about their favorite parts of silent film. This can be in any form. Poetry, essay, prose... Anything you're comfortable with. This can be about a specific player, director, or even about the photoplay in general. I encourage people outside the forum to participate, too. Just join this forum and post your lovely thoughts. Now, some of you may be saying, "I'm no poet. I'm no good at writing." I'm here to tell you that this isn't about that. This is your chance to show your appreciation for the medium that brings you so much joy.
Here is my first entry. You may post as many entries as you like as the silent photoplay spirit moves you.

https://poemsofchildhood.wordpress.com/ ... photoplay/

The Photoplay
Moving images on the screen
Glowing people playing their part
Angel-like far off creatures they seem.

No voices, yet they talk
Never may we converse
They say everything with their eyes

Gone, though alive again today
Each time we see them
In a silent photoplay!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: Silent Photoplay Poetry Challenge

Post by donnie »

Nice idea! Working on it...but Robert Frost I ain't. :? :)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:36 pm
Nice idea! Working on it...but Robert Frost I ain't. :? :)
That's ok! :) Thank you. There's no pressure in being perfect. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Has anyone come up with anything yet? :) :D :arrow:
Attachments
artworks-000055524235-7ckjp4-t500x500.jpg
artworks-000055524235-7ckjp4-t500x500.jpg (61.2 KiB) Viewed 5202 times

donnie

Post by donnie »

The wheels are still turning...

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:51 pm
The wheels are still turning...
:lol: 'Twas just a reminder :) :D

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Beep Boop.

donnie

Post by donnie »

I tried hard to make a prose poem on the aspects of silent films that appeal to me. I never could get the phrases to come together into anything. If I've still got the pieces lying around I might post them and see if someone else can assemble them into something. :) I'm in hotel room now, will look on my computer when I get back.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Ok! I'd love to see what you have. No structure needed, really!

donnie

Post by donnie »

Ok, here are the bits and pieces I had. I was trying to make a sort of acrostic poem, but this isn't very good, really. :? Anyway, see if you can complete it, or better yet make something new that might use a phrase or two of it.

S ilver magic on a screen...
I
L aughter and hijinks without end...
E scape into a nicer world...
N
T alent....?

P
H
O pening into a forgotten world...
T ime and a place that once were...
O asis in the midst of turmoil...
P rimitive fragments of reality...
L iving connection to the past...
A
Y

I also didn't think about the fact the letter didn't have to be first, could be like:

Face S that tell a story...