Who Coined the Term Photoplay?

Anything and everything silent photoplay!
Kitty

Who Coined the Term Photoplay?

Post by Kitty »

Have you ever wondered why movies were so commonly called "photoplay"? Here is an interesting background on that very subject!
Attachments
motionpicturesto01moti_0526.jpg
motionpicturesto01moti_0526.jpg (33.69 KiB) Viewed 4466 times
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: Who Coined the Term Photoplay?

Post by donnie »

I like the term photoplay. It sounds classier than "movie" or "moving picture" and more artistic than "film" or "motion picture."

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Doesn't it? I like it a lot. It's a pleasant word to say out loud, too.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

I was thinking that it's a shame the term fell into disuse, but then it occurred to me that Cheech and Chong Up in Smoke would be referred to as a photoplay, and somehow... No. Just no.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 3:33 pm
I was thinking that it's a shame the term fell into disuse, but then it occurred to me that Cheech and Chong Up in Smoke would be referred to as a photoplay, and somehow... No. Just no.
:lol: :lol: :lol: funniest thing I've heard all day!!

I will tell you that I love those movies, though.

dachshundonstilts

Post by dachshundonstilts »

The linguist George Kingsley Zipf proposed the idea that more frequently used words tend to get shorter over time. I guess a corollary is that a shorter word for the same commonly-mentioned thing would see more frequent use. That may be what doomed "photoplay," given the availability of "film" and "movie."

I'm intrigued, though, by that phrase "picture theater." That's a new one on me.
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

dachshundonstilts wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:39 pm
I'm intrigued, though, by that phrase "picture theater." That's a new one on me.
That's a nice one, I agree! I don't know if I'd heard it before, either. It makes it sound like you're going to something much more grand.

dachshundonstilts

The term "talkies" is one I'm glad didn't last very long. I assume there were two reasons it didn't; the rapid disappearance of silent pictures and the basically unappealing sound of the word "talkie." It's a homophone of "talky," and who wants to see a photoplay that's talky?
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Those are interesting thoughts. I like to use it quaintly. 😃

dachshundonstilts

Yeah, I do sometimes wish people would use it occasionally as in "Let's go to the talkies." I don't actually like to see any word completely die out.