Recording Photoplays Seen

Anything and everything silent photoplay!
Kitty

Recording Photoplays Seen

Post by Kitty »

Once before, this magazine mentioned a girl who wrote in saying that she keeps a record of all the photoplays she had seen. Can you imagine, if she kept that record up, how many films she may have seen in her lifetime?
I have thought about keeping a record, but it's a daunting task, for I would want to go back and write down all the ones I have already seen! In this current issue, they mapped out a good suggestion for an outline. I think I'll use it!
Attachments
photoplay record.jpg
photoplay record.jpg (90 KiB) Viewed 4568 times
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: Recording Photoplays Seen

Post by donnie »

Now that is neat! See, nobody would something like that in today's world. I think this is actually an excellent idea. There are so many shorts, etc., you forget what you've seen and what is what.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

You're exactly right. I search every movie mentioned in the mag, and sometimes I start watching a short realizing I've already seen it.
I just remembered something. In 2007 I had one of those Leonard Maltin books with the movie list and summaries. I went through most of that book and put a check next to the movies I'd seen. Don't know why I got rid of it, actually.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yeah, you should have kept that. I used to have a similar book, a big thick one, but still, most of the movies I watch weren't in it.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I've been looking for a silent movie book like that, but I don't think it currently exists.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 12:50 pm
I've been looking for a silent movie book like that, but I don't think it currently exists.
That makes me think: do you have a copy of The Pictorial History of the Silent Screen by Daniel Blum?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

No I don't. Is it good?

dachshundonstilts

Post by dachshundonstilts »

It's odd to think that people would go to a "photoshow" not knowing in advance the title of the feature they were going to see.
But I guess there were loads of shorts in those days too. What is that magazine and when does it date from?
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I'm reading Motion Picture Story Magazine. It started in 1911. This clip is from 1912.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 8:22 pm
No I don't. Is it good?
Yes, indeed, it's a wonderful book. It is a large format size book containing thousands of photos of silent actors and film stills—great for browsing. There is a section devoted to each year. A limited amount of text, but the photos are wonderful. If you are interested in getting a copy sometime, I know you would love it. It's long out of print, but there are still good hardback copies available on Abebooks and elsewhere, I believe.

Here are photos of some of the 1912 pages.
Attachments
blum 1a.JPG
blum 1a.JPG (2.7 MiB) Viewed 4546 times
blum 1.JPG
blum 1.JPG (2.93 MiB) Viewed 4546 times
blum 3.JPG
blum 3.JPG (2.53 MiB) Viewed 4546 times