Literature That Glorifies the Photoplay

Anything and everything silent photoplay!
Kitty

Re: Literature That Glorifies the Photoplay

Post by Kitty »

This one is cool, on the same page as Jean's poem. I like it because of all the names of the photoplays included.
Attachments
motionpicturesto03moti_0422~02.jpg
motionpicturesto03moti_0422~02.jpg (137.64 KiB) Viewed 4614 times
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

:D That was a bit of work!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Those pesky ladies! Isn't it funny that many things women do to look pretty are really for their own benefit?
Attachments
motionpicturesto03moti_0608.jpg
motionpicturesto03moti_0608.jpg (159.83 KiB) Viewed 4612 times
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Man, women's hats and/or hair blocking the screen was really a big issue back then, wasn't it? :D I guess most theaters then didn't have a sloped floor putting the screen at a good angle to avoid that.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 3:34 pm
I guess most theaters then didn't have a sloped floor putting the screen at a good angle to avoid that.
Yes, I think that the flat floor type was common in theaters of play and stage till even the 80s. We have a performance center here that was redone in the 80s, and it is like that.

donnie

Post by donnie »

I know the Fox Theatre in Atlanta has a steeply sloping floor, and it was built in the '20s, but that may have been an exception to the rule, or maybe only the big movie palaces had them. Probably a lot of the earliest theaters were converted from buildings of other original purposes.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

That's interesting!! I may be going to Atlanta in August. I have to find that theater to see. Have you seen it? Does it retain an old look?

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yes, it was built in the 20's and has been kept pretty much the same—still has the original theatre organ. It is in an Arab/Moorish style of architecture—kind of a Rudolph Valentino-ish thing, I guess. :)
My wife went there a few weeks ago to see Norah Jones. I haven't been there in many years.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Wow! Is that a personal picture? Beautiful. We will at least drive by there to see the outside when we go.

donnie

Post by donnie »

No, not a personal photo, it was online. It's been such a long time since I was there, I couldn't remember exactly what it looked like. Don't know that there is too much to see from the street.

I always wanted to hear the theatre organ in there. I think theatre organs are fascinating. I remember the first time I heard a recording of one, I was surprised at how different it sounded from a church organ. Here is an interesting video in which the organist at the Fox is talking about playing it. I could never in a million years do something like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAYqOlIaPKY