Literature That Glorifies the Photoplay

Anything and everything silent photoplay!
Kitty

Re: Literature That Glorifies the Photoplay

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:40 pm
:o Dang... Well, I think she's in love. She was actually a pretty good poet, but to pile that much adoration in verse on a celebrity—it seems kind of odd. Yes, I wonder what he thought, if he ever read it. :?:
Who knows if he read it, but I can be sure that he definitely got the letters that were sent in to the magazine. They said over and over again that when the contest was over, they'd send all the letters of adoration to each actor and actress. Come to think of it, They must have have had at least an entire room in their building just for sorted poems! :shock:
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Here's a sweet one with an attractive illustration to go with it.
Attachments
Selection_012.png
Selection_012.png (329.08 KiB) Viewed 4116 times
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

I like that poem. :D The artwork reminds me of Charles Dana Gibson's.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Moving Picture Titles in Rhyme, from April 1912. (For perspective, this was the month and year the Titanic sank.)
Attachments
Moving Picture Titles in Rhyme - Poem - April 1912.png
Moving Picture Titles in Rhyme - Poem - April 1912.png (511.19 KiB) Viewed 4001 times

donnie

Post by donnie »

That must have taken some time! :) It's amazing how absorbed some of the fans of that day were.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:37 pm
That must have taken some time! :) It's amazing how absorbed some of the fans of that day were.
Isn't it! You'd say some people we're pretty obsessed.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I liked this; it names many female photostars. I think I just coined that word :lol:

It's from September 1913 Motion Picture Story Magazine.
Attachments
Selection_001.png
Selection_001.png (299.67 KiB) Viewed 3634 times

donnie

Post by donnie »

That's pretty cool. I'd forgotten about Bessie Learn—one of my favorite actresses of the early teens. She was in a lot of Edisons.

"Flora Finch—she's really a Dutch." —wonder what that meant?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:00 pm
"Flora Finch—she's really a Dutch." —wonder what that meant?
I think they were saying she's of Dutch descent, although Wikipedia says she's english-born.