Silent Features

Anything and everything silent photoplay!
Kitty

Silent Features

Post by Kitty »

I guess I'll make a spot that we can talk about full length silent films. I know there is already a thread similar, but it was meant for only well-known features. It's about time there was a thread for Silent Features, like the Silent Shorts thread. I was tempted to call this Silent Longies, but decided that was too weird, even for me. :lol:
I'll first move these two to this thread. I deleted my post on another thread so as not to create double content.

In the wee hours of this morning, I watched Romance of Happy Valley. It's not going up there with my favorites, but I am glad to see Lillian Gish again. 🙂

Romance of Happy Valley
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU2aggFf6Ec

Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7qCmBGPFYw
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: Silent Features

Post by donnie »

Great thread. Thanks for reminding me of these two. I need to watch them soon.
Kitty wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:28 am
In the wee hours of this morning, I watched Romance of Happy Valley.
Just how wee are we talking about? :lol:
Kitty wrote:
It's not going up there with my favorites, but I am glad to see Lillian Gish again. 🙂
Why is it not going up there with your favorites? Wait—on second thought, don't answer that—let me watch it first. :)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:47 am
Kitty wrote:
Kitty wrote:
It's not going up there with my favorites, but I am glad to see Lillian Gish again. 🙂
Why is it not going up there with your favorites? Wait—on second thought, don't answer that—let me watch it first. :)
I watched it starting about 3:30 in the morning!

And, yes, that's why I didn't elaborate!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Was that pre-, post-, or during sleep?? :D
This will be the next feature I'll watch.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:08 pm
Was that pre-, post-, or during sleep?? :D
This will be the next feature I'll watch.
I woke and realized I had important laundry to do before the morning, and decided now was a better time than any to watch a film I said I'd watch soon! :lol: Really, I think the best time to watch a silent is very late when there is nothing at all to distract me. 🙂

Of course, I'll look forward to your comments on the film.

dachshundonstilts

Post by dachshundonstilts »

I was watching "Lucky Star" (1929) recently (haven't finished it yet) but just wanted to say-- have you ever seen Paul Fix (1:03:14) so young?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I33ZN3fRx30&t=1h3m13s
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Hi, Dachs! It's great to see you. Honestly, I've never heard of him! How's the movie so far?

dachshundonstilts

Post by dachshundonstilts »

Hey, sorry I've been away. Movie's kind of average so far. There was a partial-talkie version made, but the only one that's been found is the all-silent one released in Europe. Paul Fix is an actor best known for playing Marshal Micah Torrance in "The Rifleman."
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:21 pm
donnie wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:47 am
Kitty wrote:
Kitty wrote:
We watched this one tonight. Actually I quite liked it. The plot and characters were quite similar in many ways to True Heart Susie, but as a whole I believe this one gels a little less than True Heart.

There were somes real stretches in the plot here, as well. I mean, eight years working on a mechanical frog?? And getting filthy rich from it? And never communicating with your family all the while? Or your sweetheart, whom you’d promised to return to in one year?

The mixup in identity between the son and the criminal was a little strange, too, and somewhat confusing, though mostly effective. (BIG relief both father and son got out of that unscathed.)

All in all, a pleasant film, if not a masterpiece.

Now you can tell me why it’s not going up there with your favorites. :?: :)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I forget exactly (I really need to start writing those things down) but I think it was mostly the things you pointed out. I thought those things were a bit of a stretch, and then at the end when she took him back so readily like zero time has passed doesn't make sense to me either.