The Lennon Sisters

This is the board for Swing, Big Band, Jazz, and other old music.
dachshundonstilts

The Lennon Sisters

Post by dachshundonstilts »

This sister act had a 13-year gig on the Lawrence Welk show, from 1955 to 1968, followed by a one-season variety show with Jimmy Durante. I've found myself watching more and more of their clips on YouTube lately. They had an incredible vocal blend and each also sounded great on her own. Here's a clip that showcases their harmony as well as giving them all brief solo spots.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opm1zuEHZUU

Janet, Peggy, Kathy, and Dianne ("Dee Dee")... in order of their solos.
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)

donnie

Re: The Lennon Sisters

Post by donnie »

The Lennon Sisters were great. :D Such good harmony, and a perfect blend of phrasing. I didn't know that they were on another show besides Lawrence Welk.

Kitty

Re: The Lennon Sisters

Post by Kitty »

Hi dachs! Yes, I loved watching them when they were shown on the Lawrence Welk show. I, like Donnie, also did not know that they appeared on another show. They were a staple of Welk's show and contributed greatly to the show's popularity.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)