Talking Pieces

This is the board for Swing, Big Band, Jazz, and other old music.
Kitty

Talking Pieces

Post by Kitty »

I'm not sure if we have a thread about this already. If we do, please direct me to it so I can merge.

I thought this was so cool. It's a recording of Sarah Bernhardt performing. Of course, it's in French, but it is so amazing that we are able to hear the voice of one of the most heralded actresses of all time.

https://youtu.be/FjyB18FVGNc
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Re: Talking Pieces

Post by Kitty »

Florence Nightingale

https://youtu.be/ax3B4gRQNU4
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:59 pm
I'm not sure if we have a thread about this already. If we do, please direct me to it so I can merge.
No! I don’t believe we’ve talked about this, and we should have, because these early recordings of historically significant people are something I’ve been interested in for a long time. Great idea for a thread!

I'd heard the Florence Nightingale one, but not the other two. The Sarah Bernhardt one has an amazing, almost mesmerizing sound, doesn't it?

I've also heard ones of Alfred Lord Tennyson and Arthur Sullivan (of Gilbert and Sullivan). Most fascinating of all, for me, is the one of Brahms playing his own Hungarian Rhapsody. (I'll post that one later; the sound is quite bad.)