Twenties Jazz Age fun

This is the board for Swing, Big Band, Jazz, and other old music.
dachshundonstilts

Twenties Jazz Age fun

Post by dachshundonstilts »

Thought it might be good to have a thread to discuss Twenties records that were either novelty songs or just plain fun. This is one of my favorites, sung by Frank Crumit. "Crazy Words, Crazy Tune" (1927) supposedly helped popularize the scat phrase "vo-de-o-do," which was, as the lyrics attest, rather in vogue already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRDW30ujGCY
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)

Kitty

Re: Twenties Jazz Age fun

Post by Kitty »

Awesome thread! I'll contribute this song. :)

https://youtu.be/j9IYlxOvyk8
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

dachshundonstilts

Ah, yes! Same songwriters, Yellen and Ager, as "Crazy Words, Crazy Tune"! And Harry Richman... did he marry Clara Bow or just get engaged to her?
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

dachshundonstilts wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:47 pm
And Harry Richman... did he marry Clara Bow or just get engaged to her?
They were only ever engaged.
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
~ Cicero, Letters to Friends, Book IX Letter IV

dachshundonstilts

BettyLouSpence wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:23 am
dachshundonstilts wrote:
Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:47 pm
And Harry Richman... did he marry Clara Bow or just get engaged to her?
They were only ever engaged.
Thanks!

donnie

Post by donnie »

Both those songs are catchy and fun to listen to. If I had a neighbor singing the same thing over and over with a ukelele until 3 in the morning, I'd kick them in the vo-de-o-do, too. :lol:

Harry Richman sounds an awful lot like Al Jolson—he uses many of the same techniques and mannerisms (deliberately?) Also, the timbre of his voice sounds like Jolson.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:31 pm

Harry Richman sounds an awful lot like Al Jolson—he uses many of the same techniques and mannerisms (deliberately?) Also, the timbre of his voice sounds like Jolson.
I totally agree! Maybe that style of singing was popular in the 20s.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

dachshundonstilts

Kitty wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:09 pm
donnie wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:31 pm

I totally agree! Maybe that style of singing was popular in the 20s.
I think those techniques were generally associated with the blackface minstrel style.

Here's an interestingly bipolar instrumental... with Joe Venuti on violin and Eddie Lang on guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXDaqKiP2-s

donnie

Post by donnie »

I'd heard Joe Venuti on several recordings but didn't realize the full extent of his abilities until hearing this one. He was really quite an artist! He often performed with Adrian Rollini on bass sax. I'm pretty sure that's Rollini taking the break at :45. He would often play solos like that exclusively in the high register and then you could hear the low notes of the bass sax elsewhere in the accompaniment. I've heard that guitarist a lot, too, but don't know who he is.

Edit: I see you mentioned Eddie Lang as the guitarist—should read more carefully! :oops:
Last edited by donnie on Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Dad had tons of sheet music in his shop when I was little. He had some framed and put on the wall. This is one of them! Yes, we have no bananas!

https://youtu.be/MpbC_j5Xb4k