Twenties Jazz Age fun

This is the board for Swing, Big Band, Jazz, and other old music.
donnie

Re: Twenties Jazz Age fun

Post by donnie »

I've thought of that song as being from the late '20's, but that recording sounds a lot earlier.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:13 pm
I've thought of that song as being from the late '20's, but that recording sounds a lot earlier.
When I looked it up before I posted, a saw that it was published in '21 and this version popularized it in '23.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Check out this novelty song from 1926 called What! No Women? :) You can listen to it at the UC Santa Barbara library site. I'd link it directly here if I could... here's that specific recording on YouTube, but it sounds much better at the library link.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pLTX7kFs0PI

And here's the sheet music. I actually found out about this song's existence from this vintage sheet music site, sheetmusicsinger.com
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
~ Cicero, Letters to Friends, Book IX Letter IV

donnie

Post by donnie »

That's a good one. :) Thanks for sharing.

At first I was surprised to hear this sounding like an acoustic recording, but then I remembered, the electrical process didn't come in until '27, did it? Those very late acoustic ones were still a vast improvement over the early ones, though.

That's wonderful artwork on the sheet music cover!

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

donnie wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:30 pm
At first I was surprised to hear this sounding like an acoustic recording, but then I remembered, the electrical process didn't come in until '27, did it? Those very late acoustic ones were still a vast improvement over the early ones, though.
It looks like Victor and Columbia were releasing electrical recordings by 1925, though it wasn't until 1929 that Columbia's Harmony label (which this song was recorded under) finally went electric.
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
~ Cicero, Letters to Friends, Book IX Letter IV