Big Band

This is the board for Swing, Big Band, Jazz, and other old music.
Kitty

Re: Big Band

Post by Kitty »

I've heard of the Shanghai Shuffle before, but I think this is the first time I've heard it. It sounds great! Thanks for sharing.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:04 pm
Stan Kenton had a great sound, indeed! I love that arrangement.

Here is the Glenn Miller Orchestra with the classic I've Got a Gal in Kalamazoo—and a special treat at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQQfK8Bqkw0
I came upon this today on YouTube. So much fun to watch!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Is that not something?? Thanks for bringing this up again—I didn't remember posting it. :)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Met someone from Kalamazoo today... And now the above song is in my head. Such a catchy tune!

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:13 pm
Met someone from Kalamazoo today... And now the above song is in my head. Such a catchy tune!
Yes, once it gets in there, it won't get out. I was in this shape 4 or 5 days, ago. :)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Artie Shaw's band had the smoothest sound in the business, highlighted by Artie's liquid clarinet style. Here they are with Beguin the Beguine. :he:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCYGyg1H56s

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

That was really nice to listen to! It's nice to hear the old big band that's not trying to show off. It just sounds good without being ridiculously big. And the warm sound of that clarinet is very soothing! Just beautiful!

donnie

Post by donnie »

The New Paul Whiteman Orchestra, featuring soloists on bass saxophone and violin (in tribute to the original 20's jazz greats, Adrian Rollini on bass sax and Joe Venuti on violin.) Great sound! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnEmMDnRhcc&list=PLArYi0PHpsTyaf7mlYPxNBxxYXicTwZ2r