Great Folk Singers

This is the board for Swing, Big Band, Jazz, and other old music.
donnie

Re: Great Folk Singers

Post by donnie »

Yes, sweet and romantic is a good way to describe it. The close harmony is beautiful.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Here is a very moving rendition of Danny Boy by Judith Durham of The Seekers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnLnwWjrIyk

donnie

Post by donnie »

Here is another one from the Seekers. I'm really grooving on them at present. :D The classic folk sound of all time. This one has lyrics somewhat along the lines of the Jewel song in the '90s thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGOvgBLDI4E

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I liked those songs! I'm actually surprised that they're Australian, as I didn't pick up on that in the first video. I thought she sounded Irish.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

I'm glad you liked them! :D I just downloaded a greatest hits album.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Another great one by The Seekers. This is a beautiful little children's folk song. I can't get it out of my head. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1UXSdFlVOs

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I really liked that Morningtown song! It for some reason made me think of the poem Land of Counterpane by Robert Louis Stevenson.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:35 pm
I really liked that Morningtown song! It for some reason made me think of the poem Land of Counterpane by Robert Louis Stevenson.
Glad you liked it! :D It's such a simple little song, but there's something moving about it. I'd never read that Stevenson poem. That's a nice one. It does seem to have the same sense of childhood fantasy as the song.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:12 pm
I'd never read that Stevenson poem. That's a nice one. It does seem to have the same sense of childhood fantasy as the song.
Without looking it up, do you know what a counterpane is?