60s Music

This is the board for Swing, Big Band, Jazz, and other old music.
donnie

Re: 60s Music

Post by donnie »

How about this lineup, huh? :) This was in summer of 1968. Hard to imagine that many iconic bands being in one place like that (though there's some I've never heard of). And talk about eclectic...you wouldn't think of Tiny Tim and The Grateful Dead together, would you?
Attachments
273387458_4878366085562092_56616554334376.jpg
273387458_4878366085562092_56616554334376.jpg (690.27 KiB) Viewed 2451 times

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Interesting, I wonder if they're listed in order of popularity, as in I wonder if Tiny Tim was actually a headliner? I find it so weird that he was so popular, even for that short amount of time.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:53 pm
Interesting, I wonder if they're listed in order of popularity, as in I wonder if Tiny Tim was actually a headliner? I find it so weird that he was so popular, even for that short amount of time.
Yes, that's the impression you get, that the ones at the top are the big draws. With T.T., I think it was just the novelty of his persona and performance that made him such a phenom. No one had seen anything like him, that's for sure. :) And this must have been about the time of his crest in popularity, which might (?) explain his being a headliner.

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Dream concert!! Wish I had a time machine to attend :he:

Here's some footage shot on August 4. The Grateful Dead and Jefferson Airplane are shown, with Grace Slick popping in at 3:46. Some beautiful shots of the performances taking advantage of the natural lighting. There are apparently no recordings of the Dead from this concert, so the uploader set it to music from a different Dead performance in September of that year (song is The Eleven). And it doesn't look like there's any surviving tapes of the Airplane from this concert, either; this would've been just before the Airplane left on their European tour that year. Ok, that's enough rambling from me :lol:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OJcMUMh5IA8
I wish my life was a non-stop Hollywood movie show
a fantasy world of celluloid villains and heroes
Because celluloid heroes never feel any pain
and celluloid heroes never really die...

donnie

Post by donnie »

Man, what an event! I wonder what the attendance estimate was? :o

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

According to Wikipedia, it was the first ever music concert to have more than 100,000 paid attendees. Which makes it even more of a shame that there seems to be no surviving tapes of some of the major acts, though I was able find one of The Byrds on YouTube.

I think Tiny Tim was indeed a headliner; he's listed as one of the big hits including the Airplane, Steppenwolf, the Chambers Brothers, and Country Joe McDonald (I have to imagine Sonny and Cher, and Eric Burdon and the Animals would be among them too).

Wikipedia also states that "Lovin' Spoonful, Rhinoceros, Sky Pilot and The Turtles were not listed on the official poster for the event, but there is published evidence indicating these bands may have played at the festival." Hm. Looks like a rock n' roll mystery :)
I wish my life was a non-stop Hollywood movie show
a fantasy world of celluloid villains and heroes
Because celluloid heroes never feel any pain
and celluloid heroes never really die...

donnie

Post by donnie »

BettyLouSpence wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:44 pm
According to Wikipedia, it was the first ever music concert to have more than 100,000 paid attendees.
Looking at that crowd, I wonder how well those in the back could really tell or hear what was going on—even with a massive amount of amplification. It's interesting to think of Tim with just his little acoustic ukulele serenading that mass. :)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Country Girl by Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young.

I always loved this song!

https://youtu.be/C7fp3Ui5bTQ
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

That's an interesting and somewhat puzzling song. I like the general feel of it. Actually believe it or not, I think this is the first CSN&Y song I've ever heard.

What is it that you particularly like about it? (If you can explain; I often can't with music I like.)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 7:07 pm
That's an interesting and somewhat puzzling song. I like the general feel of it. Actually believe it or not, I think this is the first CSN&Y song I've ever heard.

What is it that you particularly like about it? (If you can explain; I often can't with music I like.)
I like that it's almost like it's two different songs, and the sound is really beautiful. I also like the lyrics, they seem so ominous.

" 'No Pass Out' sign on the door set me thinking
Are waitresses paying the price of their winking?"

"Find out that now was the answer to answers that you gave later, she did the things that we both did before, now, but who forgave her?"

Sounds to me like there is more to this particular story (true, or not) that we aren't let in on.

Idk, something about this one relaxes me and puts me in a state of wonder.