78 rpm music

This is the board for Swing, Big Band, Jazz, and other old music.
Kitty

Re: 78s Collection

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:15 pm
Wow, that's catchy, isn't it? I have a bad feeling I'm going to have that going in my head all night. :lol: That's really good sound quality, too, for a recording of that vintage.
A lot of those recordings are from the 78s website. It's really so much fun to browse.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

dachshundonstilts

Post by dachshundonstilts »

I have a friend who has quite a collection of Edison cylinders and several old phonographs to play them on. He's also got some blank cylinders but hasn't been able to get hold of a cylinder recorder in working condition.
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

dachshundonstilts wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:12 pm
I have a friend who has quite a collection of Edison cylinders and several old phonographs to play them on. He's also got some blank cylinders but hasn't been able to get hold of a cylinder recorder in working condition.
That is awesome!! I find early recording so fascinating.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

I thought all the machines that played cylinders could record them as well - ?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I LOVE this song, too. It's called A-L-B-U-Q-U-E-R-Q-U-E by Johnnie Lee Wills. There are a lot of records by a Bob Wills, and in looking this song up to post here, I realized that Johnnie Lee is the younger brother of Bob. The more you know!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J11gmMZqHoI

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I now have the entire main directory downloaded from this 78s website!!! I'm in the process of renaming all the songs.... They're in all caps and so forth. So, I will leave you with a song I don't think I've shared yet. The catchy Too Fast Past by Merle Travis.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1T-kUZZwHhw

donnie

Post by donnie »

I like the lyrics to that one. :D

Are you renaming them for your own use, or uploading the corrected titles?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:41 pm
I like the lyrics to that one. :D

Are you renaming them for your own use, or uploading the corrected titles?
I'm renaming them for my own use. It's a lot of work, but I love listening to this music! I bet most of these haven't been heard in a million years.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Sounds like a good project. :D

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Talk about old whiny country music! :lol: I love it. A Wedding Ring Ago by Kitty Wells. https://youtu.be/mKkAzlus0Rg