Cylinders

This is the board for Swing, Big Band, Jazz, and other old music.
Kitty

Re: Cylinders

Post by Kitty »

That's very cool!! Although I'm not so sure about what he's hearing. At one point I definitely heard o'clock announcements, but the blow by blow stuff he claims he's hearing is lost on me. I don't hear any of the extra words he's saying he hears, such as 'Come on man' etc.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yeah, I can't hear any of those things, either. (The supposed Come on, man part is really weird.)

I do know, though, that some of these early noisy recordings you can actually decipher better with repeated listening; it's like your ears learn how to filter out the noise with repeated hearings.

I experienced that myself one time. There is a cylinder recording of Johannes Brahms playing one of his Hungarian Dances on piano (made in the late 1880's, I believe). As a classical music fanatic, that really caught my interest. Unfortunately, the cylinder is so heavily damaged, that at first hearing I couldn't begin to tell what he was playing. But after repeated hearings, I could hear it clear as anything—still noisy, of course, but plainly recognizable.

It's too bad more recordings weren't made of him and other great composers of that era. For one thing, it would have given us a lot of valuable historical information about how they played in the 1800's—the style, tempo of their interpretations, etc.

Here it is, if you want to check it out. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZXL3I7GPCY

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

http://www.library.ucsb.edu/OBJID/Cylinder8096
This is called Down On the Farm, and is sung by Edward Clarance.
It's a very, very heartfelt song, and pretty great quality for being 132 years old. I've included a link to the lyrics, emboldening the words that the singer actually sings, and I also fixed one word that was incorrectly quoted in the text. I've included the entire song lyric, though he doesn't sing the whole thing, because it's touching and worth reading.

http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/songs ... e-farm.htm
When a boy I used to dwell in a home I loved so well,
Far away amongst the clover and the bees;
Where the morning-glory vines 'round the cabin porch did twine,
And the robin red-breast sang among the trees.
There were brothers, young and gay, a father, old and gray,
A mother dear, to shield us from all harm;
There I passed life's golden hours, running wild among the flowers,
In my boyhood's happy home down on the farm.

Refrain.
Many weary years have passed since I saw the old place last,
And mem'ry dear, steals o'er me like a charm;
Ev'ry old familiar place, ev'ry kind and loving face,
In my boyhood's happy home down on the Farm.

And, to-day, as I draw near that old home I love so dear,
A stranger comes to meet me at the door;
'Round the place there's many a change, and the faces all seem strange.
Not a loved one comes to greet me as of yore.
For my mother dear, is laid 'neath the elm tree's quiet shade,
Where the golden Summer sun shines bright and warm;
And near the old fire-place, there I see a stranger's face
In my father's old arm-chair down on the farm.-Refrain.

Chorus.
Sweet vision of childhood, sweet vision of childhood,
Dearer than all to me.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

I love the words to this one, especially the second verse, which is really touching. It's too bad they didn't have the capacity to include that.

Yes, this is excellent sound for a cylinder that age. The voice is especially strong and clear. I noticed the singer has a very unusual vibrato, extremely fast and narrow. You can hear it on the "farm" at the end of the verse, and more especially on the one at the end of the song.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:03 pm
I love the words to this one, especially the second verse, which is really touching. It's too bad they didn't have the capacity to include that.

Yes, this is excellent sound for a cylinder that age. The voice is especially strong and clear. I noticed the singer has a very unusual vibrato, extremely fast and narrow. You can hear it on the "farm" at the end of the verse, and more especially on the one at the end of the song.
You may find this blurb they wrote about this entry interesting.
Attachments
Screenshot_20211127-153349.jpg
Screenshot_20211127-153349.jpg (234.66 KiB) Viewed 2803 times

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:34 pm
You may find this blurb they wrote about this entry interesting.
Yes, that is interesting, and makes sense. No doubt this song resonated deeply with a lot of listeners!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I heard this on a podcast, and thought it was pretty nice. John McCormack singing Long Way to Tipperary (1914)

https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=akXVvCk5v0g&feature=share

donnie

Post by donnie »

That's a good one. :D I can see why this song was popular.

Singers and speakers sure did like trilled r's back in those days.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

https://youtu.be/YTQ0BDjUNDU?si=0P2El6HIdD-lLuw-

Keep Away Fom The Fellow Who Owns An Automobile (1909)

donnie

Post by donnie »

I love that one! :D Both the lyrics and the music are great. I've run across a lot of comedy songs by Ada Jones. She must have been enormously popular.

I also liked the illustrations used. They were so interesting I had to go back through a second time to pause and study them.

I was particularly interested in the auditorium scene and wondered where it was. I thought it might be from a British music hall, but it was actually on the Bowery—which led me down a rabbit hole on this page which has a lot of interesting history and images of the area.

And is that a water pump here? If so, it's an odd looking one.

And can you tell what word is here in front of "from Mars"?