Favorite Old Songs

This is the board for Swing, Big Band, Jazz, and other old music.
Kitty

Re: Favorite Old Songs

Post by Kitty »

I can't figure out where I've heard that song. It's sort of spooky! I have heard a lot of songs from that era, so that could attest for thinking I've heard it before, but it could also have been on Better Call Saul, which has an amazing soundtrack.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Hmm...I thought maybe I'd put it on the message board before myself, but I checked before I posted it, and apparently not.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I love this song!
Way Over Yonder by Carole King

https://youtu.be/M2alP70O_Gw
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Here's another of Danny Kaye in The Inspector General. I don't know why I didn't make a separate thread for him, but I see I put the other songs from the movie in this thread, so I'll put this one here, too. It's called Arrogant! Elegant! Smart!
https://youtu.be/C7uidpDAHNE

donnie

Post by donnie »

That song showcases his talents well. I also watched the What's My Line? with him as the mystery guest that came up at the end. Have you seen that? He really had the panel confused. I wonder what he did while exiting that got a laugh from the audience.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:07 pm
I also watched the What's My Line? with him as the mystery guest that came up at the end. Have you seen that? He really had the panel confused. I wonder what he did while exiting that got a laugh from the audience.
I don't think I've seen that one yet.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Kitty wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:39 pm
Maybe it's because I'm so tired, but this song made me so happy, I cried!! It really makes you get up and move!! This is Big Chief Battle Axe by Graeme Bell's Australian Jazz Band. 1948. Sounds older, doesn't it? Dig that crazy vibe, man!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJCeLF9tsWM
I'm bumping this song because I'm bopping to it right now and thought I'd spread the happy! :D

donnie

Post by donnie »

That's a good bump. ;-)

Did you ever listen to the Shanghai Shuffle I posted in response to that?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:54 pm
That's a good bump. ;-)

Did you ever listen to the Shanghai Shuffle I posted in response to that?
I did! I'm fairly sure I responded, too, at some point!

donnie

Post by donnie »

I figured you would like that one.

Changing gears, Richard Carpenter has been in the process of enhancing the old Carpenters recordings with some additional backing from the Royal Philharmonic. Here he is conducting them with the original vocals by Karen.
Superstar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGrLUavvkIA