Favorite Old Songs

This is the board for Swing, Big Band, Jazz, and other old music.
donnie

Re: Favorite Old Songs

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:41 pm
I love that folky hippie music. ☺️☺️ Also, that is NOT how I pictured Mary.
So do I. So how did you picture her?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:50 pm
Kitty wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:41 pm
I love that folky hippie music. ☺️☺️ Also, that is NOT how I pictured Mary.
So do I. So how did you picture her?
For some reason I always picture people as brunettes. I thought she'd look more like Joan Baez.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

donnie wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:19 pm
Btw, that photo of GS in your signature: Is that an outsized keyboard? Or just the angle of the photo? Or did she somehow shrink temporarily? Whichever of the three it is, she seems pleased about it. :D
Good question! I actually never really noticed until now. :lol: Perhaps the caterpillar handed her the wrong mushroom piece...

Speaking of caterpillars, check out this vocals-only audio of White Rabbit. You can really appreciate her pipes here:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dyMtIwobqbI
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
~ Cicero, Letters to Friends, Book IX Letter IV

donnie

Post by donnie »

BettyLouSpence wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:32 pm
Speaking of caterpillars, check out this vocals-only audio of White Rabbit. You can really appreciate her pipes here:
Wow, that's amazing... :o What an overwhelmingly powerful sound! She could have made a whole album using nothing but just her voice.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I didn't realize that she was friends with Janis.... Although I guess I shouldn't be surprised. That song gives me chills every time I hear it.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I've had this in my head all day. Let's live for today, The Grass Roots.

https://youtu.be/hnFZsrs32Co

donnie

Post by donnie »

That's good classic early 60's rock.

donnie

Post by donnie »

More good classic sounds from the 60s...
Gary Puckett and the Union Gap - Over You
https://youtu.be/Z34xaDQ3ra4

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I am cleaning today on my day off, and am listening to a 50s playlist on YouTube. Well I came across this song for the first time and it made me so happy that I had to share it here. Kisses Sweeter Than Wine by Jimmy Rodgers.

https://youtu.be/-4X2RVm8R4Q

donnie

Post by donnie »

That’s an interesting song, very folk-like in sound and also in the lyrics. Even it’s a sweet and upbeat love song, something strikes me as depressing about it—not sure whether it’s the fact the narrator is now “old and ready to go” or the fact that it’s in minor key. But anyway, I think this is actually the first song I’ve heard by Jimmie Rodgers, though I’ve often heard of him. He was really a good singer.