Peggy Lee

This is the board for Swing, Big Band, Jazz, and other old music.
Kitty

Peggy Lee

Post by Kitty »

I absolutely love this song. It really makes you think about life and all our personal struggles. Is that all there is? If that's all there is, my friend, then let's keep dancing! Peggy Lee, Is That All There Is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sWTnsemkIs
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Re: Peggy Lee

Post by Kitty »

Kitty wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:37 pm
I absolutely love this song. It really makes you think about life and all our personal struggles. Is that all there is? If that's all there is, my friend, then let's keep dancing! Peggy Lee, Is That All There Is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sWTnsemkIs
I have this song in my head this morning for no particular reason. 🙂
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

BettyLouSpence

Post by BettyLouSpence »

Peggy Lee sings with Benny Goodman and his orchestra - Why Don't You Do Right?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4zRwze8_SGk
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need."
~ Cicero, Letters to Friends, Book IX Letter IV

donnie

Post by donnie »

Peggy Lee had a fine voice, and Benny Goodman's was such a good band. I kept noticing the bass saxophone being played in the background—a magnificent instrument and rarely used. I always wanted to play one of those...

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:23 pm
I kept noticing the bass saxophone being played in the background—a magnificent instrument and rarely used. I always wanted to play one of those...
Never too late to start!! ☺️

donnie

Post by donnie »

Well, as soon as I get about $20,000 or so I don’t need for anything, maybe I’ll pick one up. :lol:

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Here's an unusual sounding recording. Was the beginning staged or is this a special recording? Peggy Lee - Mañana
https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=zDWkft-fpGI&feature=share

donnie

Post by donnie »

No, I'd say not staged—that sounds like an actual rehearsal. This must be a studio tape that was later edited into the commercial recording. I heard what it was they were trying to adjust—sounds like one of the guys in the band couldn't sing too well. :)
Last edited by donnie on Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:52 am
No, I'd say not staged—that sounds like an actual rehearsal. This must be a studio tape that was later edited into the commercial recording. I heard what it was they were trying to adjust—sounds like one of the guys in the band couldn't sing too well. :)
I love stuff like that! What a cool thing to come across! :)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yes, it's always interesting to find the behind-the-scenes stuff, isn't it? As you know, I love classical music, and one thing I've always found fascinating is to see footage of a great conductor in rehearsal with a symphony orchestra. It's so interesting to see how they achieve what they want in terms of interpretation and what their working methods are.