Inner Sanctum Mysteries

This is the place to talk about anything and everything old time radio.
Kitty

Inner Sanctum Mysteries

Post by Kitty »

Inner Sanctum Mysteries was a horror/suspense radio show hosted by Raymond Johnson, the man with the perfect voice for the job. He sometimes would make ghoulish jokes at the beginning, inviting us in to listen to the tale. The creaking door was an exciting opening, an awesome atmospheric sound employed by the best in the business. This is my very favorite of the horror genre of old time radio. Do you remember this show? What episodes stick in your mind? Sweet... dreammms? Hmmm?
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Re: Inner Sanctum Mysteries

Post by Kitty »

This one was very good quality and has my favorite format. It begins with the mysterious storyteller inviting you into​ his home and has that lovely macabre atmosphere that made me love this show instantly when I first heard it. I say it like this, because not all Inner Sanctum episodes had that amazing atmospheric opening. In later years, the scariness of the opening was kind of watered down, and they weren't so dark. Well here it is, from 1941, The Amazing Death of Mrs. Putnam. Please enjoy!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ri8RS8dSiA8
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

I listened to two Inner Sanctums today: The Color Blind Formula and The Magic Tile. Both were pretty good stories, though the sound quality made it a little difficult to make out some of the dialogue. I still need to listen to the one above.

I also listened to two Suspense episodes: Fugue in C Minor and The Black Curtain. Fugue in C Minor was particularly good, due in no small part to the voice talents of Vincent Price!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I'll have to check if I've ever heard those episodes you mention. Vincent Price was really good, and I like the way he acted in the one movie I saw of his.

donnie

Post by donnie »

I just listened to The Amazing Death of Mrs. Putnam. Quite an interesting turn. :) It's also interesting that the story included a comic sidekick (Porky).

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Sometimes there were some very morbid atmospheric story introductions. He'd be like, "Oh, just step over the corpse as you come in the door....Oh, that? Pay no attention to the man hanging at the doorway." Stuff like that. I love those openings.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:18 pm
Sometimes there were some very morbid atmospheric story introductions. He'd be like, "Oh, just step over the corpse as you come in the door....Oh, that? Pay no attention to the man hanging at the doorway." Stuff like that. I love those openings.
Yes, those add a lot to the program. :-) In the first one I listened to, he said, "What are you staring at? Hmmm? Ohhhh, him. Why he won’t hurt you—he’s been dead for years. He came here for our first program, said nothing could scare him. I’ve been using him for a doorstop ever since. Have to get a new one though—his bones are showing through."

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Ooooh! Delightfully chilling! 👻