Inner Sanctum Mysteries

This is the place to talk about anything and everything old time radio.
Kitty

Inner Sanctum Mysteries

Post by Kitty » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:23 pm

Inner Sanctum Mysteries was a horror/suspense radio show hosted by Raymond Johnson, the man with the perfect voice for the job. He sometimes would make ghoulish jokes at the beginning, inviting us in to listen to the tale. The creaking door was an exciting opening, an awesome atmospheric sound employed by the best in the business. This is my very favorite of the horror genre of old time radio. Do you remember this show? What episodes stick in your mind? Sweet... dreammms? Hmmm?
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Re: Inner Sanctum Mysteries

Post by Kitty » Fri May 26, 2017 9:25 am

This one was very good quality and has my favorite format. It begins with the mysterious storyteller inviting you into​ his home and has that lovely macabre atmosphere that made me love this show instantly when I first heard it. I say it like this, because not all Inner Sanctum episodes had that amazing atmospheric opening. In later years, the scariness of the opening was kind of watered down, and they weren't so dark. Well here it is, from 1941, The Amazing Death of Mrs. Putnam. Please enjoy!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ri8RS8dSiA8
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)