Interesting Found Recording

This is the place to talk about anything and everything old time radio.
Kitty

Interesting Found Recording

Post by Kitty »

Warning, some grim material in this, but very interesting from a historical standpoint.
Saw this posted a few minutes ago on the radio lovers facebook. I can't copy and paste from Facebook, so I'll screen shot the info he posted. This includes honest-to-goodness real breaking news updates on Christmas Eve murders in Greensboro, NC. I've never heard real recordings of news like that, only fictionalized. There are also some cool Christmas carols I've never heard. Toward the end, we hear a recording of the family who took this radio recording. They talk about what they got for Christmas, and they discuss the outcome of the DeSantis situation, and what they'll be doing later that Christmas day. This is a real time capsule for Christmas Eve/Day 1947.

https://soundcloud.com/randy-a-riddle/w ... 2am_usIjWA
"Home recording of segments from WBIG, 1470 AM, Greensboro, North Carolina made by local resident Artemas H. Henderson on December 24-25, 1947. Included in the holiday programming, we hear updates on the Joe Desantis murders and the hunt for the killer throughout the evening. Also includes a local commercial during Bing Crosby's "Philco Radio Time" and WBIG's sign-off with a time-check sponsored by Bulova. Transferred from the original lacquer by Randy A. Riddle, 12/2020."

https://m.facebook.com/groups/220519620 ... on_generic
Screenshot_20201224-182546__01.jpg
Screenshot_20201224-182546__01.jpg (447.25 KiB) Viewed 1519 times
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: Interesting Found Recording

Post by donnie »

Sounds very interesting, though I'll probably skip it due to the grim material. (Thanks for the warning on that. ;)) Great find, though! :)

I think vintage stretches of programming like that are so interesting. They really are time capsules that provide so much of the feel of a bygone time and place. I may have mentioned this before, but I really wish there were some programming stretches from the '20s. Wouldn't that be fascinating? I searched hard for such a thing a couple of years ago, but turned up nothing. :( There are some historical broadcasts of that age, but they all some special programming from a certain event—not just regular day-to-day stuff. I want to hear the announcements, commercials, music, etc.

It is a blessing, though, that we have that full day one from the Washington station with Arthur Godfrey, though that's a little later.