One Man's Family

This is the place to talk about anything and everything old time radio.
Kitty

One Man's Family

Post by Kitty »

Have I really not posted about One Man's Family? If I have, I can't find the thread.

This is a really good old time radio soap about the Barbour family. It was on for almost 30 years, and there was even a television show for a few years in the 50s. It was the longest uninterrupted dramatic serial in American history, according to Wikipedia. It's the story of Mother (Fanny) Barbour, Father (Henry) Barbour, and their grown children Jack, Paul, Hazel, Claudia, and Clifford, plus the grandchildren sometimes come into play. It's so addicting, and I love it. It's too bad that only a fraction of episodes are known to exist, but there are still a lot of episodes here to listen to.

The show's makeup is interesting, too, because each episode is broken up into books and chapters. For example there will be The Book of Henry, and there will be a number of episodes regarding Henry's situation. They'll label them like Chapter One, Book One, and the next will be Chapter Two , Book Two until their story is concluded. Isn't that different?
Anyway, I'll put the link here so you can listen to a few. It was suggested to start on Book 71 and go from there. The first chapter of this book is not great quality, but if you listen closely, you can hear the story. The other chapters of this book sound fine. It will be file 29 on this list.

https://archive.org/details/one-mans-fa ... anklin.mp3
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Re: One Man's Family

Post by Kitty »

"Oh, I'm so excited that I could just roll over and butter myself." - Margaret Herbert Murray

:lol:
Margaret is in like 10th grade or something. She's one of the Barbour granddaughters. In 1951, they created a book called The Barbour Family Album that could be obtained by sending in the box top to a 30 or 70 cent box of Bactine (a product of Miles Laboratories, which was the sponsor. They also created Alka Seltzer.) and 10 cents for postage.

The book was created under the idea that Margaret put together a scrap book of the family history. On one episode, everyone in the family got one when it was finished. That's when they started advertising for it.

As you may have already guessed, I found the book on ebay!!! It's such a neat book with pictures of the real voice actors and little captions from Margaret's point of view. I'll post some pictures if you're interested, but I'd not recommend reading the book if you'll ever listen to the show because of spoilers.

I got to flip through it for the first time on that certain episode where the family is looking at it for the first time. So it was extra special, as if I was looking through it with them. 🙂

There's even a map of Seacliff in California, and shows where everyone lives.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

That sounds neat! :D I'm glad you were able to find it. Go ahead and post some pictures. I may sample an episode or two sometime, but am not worried about spoilers. I'd like to see what it looks like.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I listened to a huge amount of episodes, but when you get to a certain point the story gets spotty due to missing episodes. Since I now know this family as my own, I decided to start over at the beginning. These are episodes I haven't listened to. The beginning of this episode, a new years eve 1941 episode, has a fascinating conversation and speculations about the war. It's so interesting to hear this, and some of it even parallels what we've been going through this year.
Please give at least the conversation a listen for historical purposes. https://archive.org/download/one-mans-f ... 201941.mp3

donnie

Post by donnie »

That’s an interesting episode, and an interesting conversation. Yes, there sure are some striking parallels to what we are facing today, and also some differences. I really think we could learn some things from Americans of that generation about pulling together and supporting each other against a common threat. The spirit of patriotism you hear from the characters here is refreshing.

And that line in the show wondering whether people in the future would see ’41 as the dark time—or just the rising curtain on dark times—that gives you pause, doesn't it? :shock:

On a little lighter note: I liked those Tender Leaf Tea Ball commercials. :D The way the announcer described that tea sure got me wanting a cup. But it’s too close to bedtime, and the caffeine would keep me awake. Wah, wahhhh… :cry: Oh, well, tomorrow... :)

I'm assuming a tea ball is similar to what we would call a tea bag? I've not heard of this brand, but apparently it's still made! :)