The Couple Next Door

This is the place to talk about anything and everything old time radio.
Kitty

The Couple Next Door

Post by Kitty »

I'm really enjoying this show! It's another that's centered around a married couple. Unlike Claudia, they've been married for while, and have a 6 year old already. I'm glad to have found this. It's not exactly Claudia, (that one is one-of-a-kind) but it's sure a close second!!
It has hundreds of episodes! The little girl is at first played by an adult, but later is replaced by a real child actress. I think her voice is much better.
The sound quality is fantastic, especially a handful of episodes in. It was so clear that I was unsure if it was not re-enacted!
It was written by and lead actressed by Peg Lynch. Have you heard of her? Everyone raves about her. Let's see if you can detect who Aunt Effie is played by! She's a recurring character. It will take some episodes for her first appearance.(If I'm not mistaken, it's episode 24.)

http://otrrlibrary.org/OTRRLib/Library% ... h7Q1F2JhBI
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Re: The Couple Next Door

Post by Kitty »

A cool thing about these recordings is that all the commercials are still there!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Going to try to listen to some of this today!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:37 pm
Going to try to listen to some of this today!
Great! It's a good show. 🙂

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Episode 64 is hilarious. Just so you know.

donnie

Post by donnie »

I listened to the first couple of episodes. Seems to be a pretty good show—a lot more arguing than in Claudia! :) The plots (of those two, anyway) seem to focus a lot on the foibles or contradictions of human nature, is that right?

The music and the dialogue reminds me a lot of a TV sitcom. Peg Lynch's voice reminds me strongly of someone in an early TV show. I can picture her, but I can't place the show. I'll keep thinking about it. I think it was probably a good move changing the role of the daughter over to an actual child actress. :)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

They definitely argue a lot, but it's so real. Some of the things they argue about are reassuring that married couples have always had the same types of arguments. 🙂

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Whenever you get there, I'd like to hear how you feel about episode 81. Most of these episodes are standalone, so if you don't care, you could probably just listen to that one (if you want) and then just go back to where you were.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yeah, I'll probably just skip around. I'll check out 81 today. :D

donnie

Post by donnie »

I just listened to 81—pretty good episode. It was great to hear Margaret Hamilton in the role of Aunt Effie. :) I didn't recognize her voice or realize it was she until the announcement at the end.

I also thought the ad extolling the virtues of Lowell Thomas was interesting. I know he was considered a legendary newscaster, but the only time I've seen him was when he was the mystery guest on What's My Line?—and he seemed during most of the questioning kind of out of it and unable to answer the questions correctly. I found it hard to reconcile his appearance there with the description of him in the ad, though he did a little better later in the show. (That WML is online if you want to watch it.)