The Couple Next Door

This is the place to talk about anything and everything old time radio.
donnie

Re: The Couple Next Door

Post by donnie »

Interesting photo! Do they look like you imagined? He sort resembles the way I pictured him, her not at all. Her voice sounds a great deal like that of an actress I've seen in some sitcom reruns of the 60's, so that's the way I pictured her.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I basically pictured him that way, but I pictured her eyebrows a little different, and I always pictured her hair dirty blonde.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Still listening to this wonderful program. I wish it could go on forever. I'm on episode 498. What a gem of old time radio!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

On episode 689, there is an interesting ad at about 10:54. It's actually a blooper!!! It must have been a live ad, or maybe they just thought it was fine the way it was, no one would notice. But I did!!!

He goes "Well. that's for... true..."

http://otrrlibrary.org/OTRRLib/Library% ... eading.mp3

donnie

Post by donnie »

I've actually heard the phrase "that's for true" used before, as kind of a colloquial way of saying "that's true"—I think I may have actually used it myself. :) Although here, the hesitation does make it sound possibly unintended.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I have only heard it said by fellow teenagers growing up... I thought it was a late 90s thing!
I think his script said "That's true," except he mashed "That's for sure," in with it. It's kind of a behind the scenes that rarely exists with the recordings we have!

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yes, it sounds like that’s what he did. That makes me think of the old Orson Welles infamous War of the Worlds live broadcast from the ‘30’s. Have you ever listened to that? I remember that one of the actors flubbed up his lines pretty good in some similar fashion. There were all kinds of unedited bloopers like that back in the day when it was live and you had to go with what you got. :)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Well, I think I was just wrong. It played again today, it clearly being a recorded ad. I think it was maybe supposed to be a thoughtful, "Well, that's for... true...," or maybe, again they just didn't care that there was a mistake and I'm analyzing it way too much for a 15 second spot on a 60 year old old time radio show. :lol:

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:18 pm
...or maybe, again they just didn't care that there was a mistake and I'm analyzing it way too much for a 15 second spot on a 60 year old old time radio show. :lol:
Hey, somebody's got to do these things. May as well be us! :D

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Well, I finished this yesterday! :( :(

I've been listening to this for 7 or 8 months. It's a pretty sad feeling to leave all those characters!
I started Jerry of the Circus, which is a kiddie serial. It's cute, and seems pretty well made. Thread to come! :)