History of the NBC Chimes

This is the place to talk about anything and everything old time radio.
Kitty

History of the NBC Chimes

Post by Kitty »

Did you know that before the famous NBC 3 note chime, there was a 5 note chime and also a 7 note chime? This site is really interesting. http://www.nbcchimes.info/nbcsounds.php
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: History of the NBC Chimes

Post by donnie »

Yes, that is an interesting site. Someone really put a lot of work into assembling that information. The only NBC chime I'm familiar with is the classic three note one, which I think is usually now the notes G-E-C. I'd heard that was because NBC was originally owned by the General Electric Company—but apparently that's not true.

I think the very early radio recordings are interesting. I wish there was a preserved typical broadcast from the '20's or early '30's such as the later one with Arthur Godfrey. I searched for something like that awhile back, but couldn't turn up anything, though there are a lot of recordings of things that are special occasions.

Kitty

Re: History of the NBC Chimes

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:51 pm
I'd heard that was because NBC was originally owned by the General Electric Company—but apparently that's not true.
That's too bad! Wouldn't that be an interesting fact if it were, in fact, a fact?
donnie wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:51 pm
I wish there was a preserved typical broadcast from the '20's or early '30's such as the later one with Arthur Godfrey.
Oh, my, how I wish there were other recordings of the Sundial program! It is awesome.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)