Claudia

This is the place to talk about anything and everything old time radio.
Kitty

Re: Claudia

Post by Kitty »

It drives my crazy that their name is Naughton. It almost always sounds like everyone is saying Norton. Argh!!! 😵😂🤓

I'm through episode 208. I'm pleased to see that there are almost 389 episodes. Somehow I got it mixed up and thought there were only 289!

Also, a couple episodes ago David said he is 30.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

That's interesting—I didn't figure David as being quite that old. So there's an eleven year difference then! Yes, I have the same reaction to the name. It does sound like the typical New York pronunciation of Norton. :)

donnie

Post by donnie »

I'm through No. 173. A couple of things on the "guest" voice actors: the one who plays Mr. Warren in No. 152 sounds strangely reminiscent of the one who plays Santa in The Cinnamon Bear. I'm sure it's probably not the same one, but he reminds me of him. And how about the W.C. Fields clone parking attendant in No. 161? :lol:

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I remember someone sounding like the snowman in Cinnamon Bear. I'll have to go back to re-listen to that one to be sure.

The parking attendant was weird!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Through 230 now. It's so nice that although the setting has changed, Claudia and David still are the same people. I know I've said it before, but it is so super cute and believable that they kid around with each other, and the laughing and silliness seems so real. It makes you really wish (and pretend!) they're a real married couple in the honeymoon stage.

donnie

Post by donnie »

I'm through 187. Yes, their repartee and affection does seem very real and charming.

On another point, something I find interesting is the bit with a character talking to Joe King at the end about the next show. It's odd that the characters switch back and forth between their roles in the show and an identity as an member of the audience just observing. You'll have the NY taxi driver who was driving Claudia to the station saying, "Ok, Joe, I'll be around tomorrow to see what happens." Kind of strange, breaking the fourth wall like that. (Or maybe I just think too much? :lol:) Anyway, I like it, if it is weird.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

It is pretty weird when they use characters you won't ever talk to again or rarely talk to for that segment. I like it, too, though. It adds a lot to it.
On another note, don't you think it's kind of funny that, aside from being a plot point sometimes and the characters mentioning him, you totally forget that they have a great dane. He's the quietest big dog I ever met!
Do you still find Mrs. Brown annoying? She does sometimes have that attitude that tries to squash their fun, but I think that's probably written there to emphasize that this is a fun loving young couple, sometimes extra silly.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Yes, Bluff and Shakespeare are kind of like the kids in some situation comedies—they seem to exist only when needed for the plot. :lol: I thought that was a really funny episode where Bluff pulled apart everything owned by poor Jared Tucker.

Mrs. Brown is not irritating me as much lately. I think she has mellowed somewhat since moving to the farm. Maybe the country air is doing her good. :) I think you're right regarding her serving as a counterbalance to David and Claudia.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Jared Tucker is SO annoying in my opinion. Especially in a recent episode I heard. 😤

donnie

Post by donnie »

:lol: I can see how he would get on some listener's nerves. He is one of my favorite characters though. Of course I may change my mind when I get to the episode you're referring to. :)