Claudia

This is the place to talk about anything and everything old time radio.
donnie

Re: Claudia

Post by donnie »

Yes, he does sound a lot like the Grand Wonky, now that you mention it. I'm not sure if it's the same actor or not—if so, he makes his voice somewhat more exaggerated or cartoon-like in CB. Let me know what you learn.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

A Claudia aficionado in the radio group says he has never located a full cast list, but I find it interesting that he says he believes that Peggy Allenby plays both Mrs. Brown AND Bertha!

Also, sometimes if my mind wanders for a moment and comes back, it could be my imagination, but I sometimes think some of the men sound like Joe King. It's probably just my imagination, though.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I'm dismayed to find out that the very last episode on this list is out of order on archive.org! Episode 228 was not named the same way as the other episodes, so I missed one! I'm guessing you probably missed it, too. I was wondering why the file numbers didn't correlate anymore. They were all one off, anyway, because of the audition episode, which isn't counted in the regular episode count, but I knew that somewhere along the line the file numbers were off even more. Now we know why. I'm annoyed. :(
https://archive.org/download/OTRR_Claud ... 20over.mp3
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

I did hear that one. My procedure has been to download them in one batch, transfer them to iTunes on my computer, and thence on to my phone, where I listen to them. Somewhere in the process of transferring them, I happened to notice that one out of order, and got it put back in where it goes—looked like it had been just carelessly titled or something.

I'm sorry you missed it—that is annoying indeed. But at least you were able to hear it after the fact. :-)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Yes. 🙂 I'm glad I noticed it before it was totally ended.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:15 pm
A Claudia aficionado in the radio group says he has never located a full cast list, but I find it interesting that he says he believes that Peggy Allenby plays both Mrs. Brown AND Bertha!

Also, sometimes if my mind wanders for a moment and comes back, it could be my imagination, but I sometimes think some of the men sound like Joe King. It's probably just my imagination, though.
I missed this post earlier. That’s wild, the same actress possibly as Mrs. Brown and Bertha! The voice tones and personalities are so different, and also the accent—Bertha with the foreign brogue, and Mrs. B. with the classic New England accent. If she was both, she was a talented voice actress. Let’s listen to see if we hear any telltale similarity.

Joe King’s voice is pleasant, but at the same time resembles a lot of other voices, so that could very well be.

Something I’ve noticed a lot with Katherine Bard’s voice - she has a way of pronouncing words with the “ow” or “ou” sound very high in the mouth so that for example a word like “brown” sounds something like “broan.” Have you noticed that?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I haven't noticed they specifically in Katherine Bard, but she definitely has a distinct way of talking.
That episode I missed had both Bertha and Mama talking, and I definitely heard it! I'm convinced they're the same person.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:57 am
I haven't noticed they specifically in Katherine Bard, but she definitely has a distinct way of talking.
Notice when she says something like “out of town” it will sound kind of like “oat of tone” (not that extreme, but kind of like that). She also pronounces “Bluff” with more of an o sound, like “Bloff”.

I can also detect a little of a Southern accent in Paul Crabtree’s voice at times.

Kitty wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:57 am
That episode I missed had both Bertha and Mama talking, and I definitely heard it! I'm convinced they're the same person.
Wow, that’s wild! I’ll have to listen to it again. I wonder if Fritz is anybody else? :)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I definitely know what you mean when you say she says Bluff that way. Very enunciatory (a word? It is now!)

Some really fun episodes coming up. 🙂

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:01 pm
I definitely know what you mean when you say she says Bluff that way. Very enunciatory (a word? It is now!)
I like that word. She does sound enunciatory. :)
Kitty wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:01 pm
Some really fun episodes coming up. 🙂
Good!