Jack Benny

This is the place to talk about anything and everything old time radio.
Kitty

Jack Benny

Post by Kitty »

Here is a nice article with an interview with his daughter Joan.

http://www.closerweekly.com/posts/jack- ... ocialshare

I love his show, radio and television. He was so funny and lovable.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: Jack Benny

Post by donnie »

Nice article. I love Jack Benny!—he's one of my favorites of all time. I've seen other instances where it was mentioned what a kind and generous person he was.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Yes, George Burns speaks very highly of him in his books. They were serious BFFs. (Best friends forever). I want to read all of George's books. Do you know that Jack Benny was writing an autobiography when he died? It was unpublished and unfinished. His daughter added to it and published it.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

No, I didn't know that. I'm sure it would be interesting. Mel Blanc was also a friend of Benny's. I watched the documentary of Blanc that is on YouTube, and I remember his telling of how good Benny was to him while Blanc was recuperating from the serious car crash that almost took his life.

dachshundonstilts

Post by dachshundonstilts »

I read that biography ... must have been over 20 years ago. Loved it. "Sunday Nights at Seven." Jack is my favorite of all time.
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

dachshundonstilts wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:45 am
I read that biography ... must have been over 20 years ago. Loved it. "Sunday Nights at Seven." Jack is my favorite of all time.
I'm gonna look for that biography. 🙂

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Jack's first episode, from May 2, 1932. I'm listening to this for the first time right now! It's so far a musical program! Quite interesting!

https://otrrlibrary.org/OTRRLib/Library ... 20Show.mp3

dachshundonstilts

It took a while till they found the formula that worked best for the Benny show. In the beginning Jack wasn't considered "the talent," but just an emcee for Ethel Shutta and the orchestra. But once it took off, it really took off!
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I was reading about announcer Don Wilson today, and came across this fun bit of information. There was a famous flub in the January 8 1950 that I'd never heard of until now. Instead of saying 'Drew Pearson', Don said 'Dreer Pooson, and later on, Frank Nelson ad libs a joke on the piggy back of the flub.
https://www.oldtimeradiodownloads.com/c ... 1950-01-08

dachshundonstilts

Kitty wrote:
Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:00 am
I was reading about announcer Don Wilson today, and came across this fun bit of information. There was a famous flub in the January 8 1950 that I'd never heard of until now. Instead of saying 'Drew Pearson', Don said 'Dreer Pooson, and later on, Frank Nelson ad libs a joke on the piggy back of the flub.
https://www.oldtimeradiodownloads.com/c ... 1950-01-08
A classic moment! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not exactly an ad lib, though. According to what I read, the writers called Frank Nelson into a huddle during the show and told him to change his line. When he delivered it, Jack reportedly laughed so hard he fell down and had to crawl over and pull himself back up on the stage curtain.