Magic Island

This is the place to talk about anything and everything old time radio.
Kitty

Magic Island

Post by Kitty »

I just started listening to Magic Island. It gets really great reviews all over, and although it is always categorized as a children's show, it seems that adults like it, too! They say that there is a lot of science stuff in there. I'm pretty excited to listen. At 130 episodes, I wonder how long it will take me to go through it all? We shall see, won't we? :lol: All of the episodes are on archive.org here: https://archive.org/details/OTRR_Magic_Island_Singles
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Re: Magic Island

Post by Kitty »

It was slow going at first, but I'm having trouble stopping now!! I'm on episode 7 and I started tonight! They all flow so well together! This is an exciting adventure series not to be missed!
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Glad to know you are enjoying it! I downloaded it yesterday, will try to start listening soon.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I think you'll enjoy it. There are a few things in the original plot point that don't make sense, but suspend your disbelief and enjoy the ride. :)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I'm on episode 9. Have you been able to listen to any? What do you think? It's kind of cool knowing that Patricia is Queen Melissa!

donnie

Post by donnie »

No, haven't had time yet. :(

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:45 pm
No, haven't had time yet. :(
Well, it's not going anywhere! Let me know when you start!

donnie

Post by donnie »

Ok, got started and I'm through episode 4 (failure of the fog penetration device). Golly-whiskers, this is rather fun to listen to (though slow moving).

For some reason, when I think about Jerry, I picture Mickey Rooney. (Could be because I just recorded some Andy Hardy movies off TCM.) And for the Captain, I picture the actor that played Addison on Mr. Ed (can't remember his name). How do you picture them? Or do you?

That skipper—what an odd monosyllabic critter he is. And I also think it's odd how they always use that deadpan monotone voice for radio messages. I wonder if the police, etc., really did that in that era, and if so, why.

That is all.
:D

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I'm glad you started!! 🙂
The kid makes me think of a radio show I can't remember what it's called with a teen photographer who was the sidekick of a detective. I picture some boy on a track team that would be in Father Knows Best or something of the sort. :lol: He definitely doesn't sound like a teen.
As for the man, I don't really picture anyone in particular. It's more of an image of a radio crime detective that I have.
Yes, the skipper is kind of weird. How inefficient!
Also, I don't think the cops would have been that monotone as portrayed in this. I think it's a bit exaggerated. It sounds like he's about to fall asleep!

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:37 pm
I'm glad you started!! 🙂
I picture some boy on a track team that would be in Father Knows Best or something of the sort. :lol: He definitely doesn't sound like a teen.
Bud? Yeah, he could look that way. :D I LOVE Father Knows Best, by the way—one of my all time favs. I like Billy Grey, Robert Young, and all the actors on there‚ and was (am?) madly in love with Elinor Donahue. :oops: :)