Magic Island

This is the place to talk about anything and everything old time radio.
Kitty

Re: Magic Island

Post by Kitty »

Idk it just gives me the heebie jeebies! He barely knows her and is taken to saying weird stuff to her like that. 🤢
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

It does sound kind of odd. "Atta boy" was (is?) the common expression. I don't know why he says "babe."

I am up to No. 59, I think. Didn't listen to any today—got enthralled with some Bach cello suites instead. :D

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Coincidentally, I'm on 59, too! I started back up today from the other day.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Question: Why the heck did Johnson put turpentine instead of oil in the drum??
Another question: Why aren’t any of the characters wondering about this? :lol:

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

:lol:Wasn't that so weird? They didn't explain it, but I assumed either the barrel was labeled wrong or the Euclidians tampered with it somehow.
You're right! Doesn't it sometimes feel like there may have been more to the story? Maybe a line or two was thrown out and never replaced. These people seem to take things pretty plainly. That, for example, and also Cleostra/Joan took very quickly to calling Pat Mother.... Don't you think it would have been well to be a bit skeptical, especially with the way she was brought up?

Questions, questions! Food for thought.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Now through 65.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I'm at 67. ☺️

donnie

Post by donnie »

Through 74. Have you noticed that the more impressive Joan's knowledge becomes, the more irritating Jerry gets? :D

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Yes!! And I love that she gives it back to him with taking his expressions literally. I was mad at him for her at first, but she seems to be able to take care of herself.
My favorite episode to date was when they took an entire episode to talk about food and drink. :lol:
P.S. Doesn't Jerry just seem super jealous when Joan says intelligent things? She's not showing off, she's just being herself. I think he's just mad that he can't talk the way she does.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:16 pm
P.S. Doesn't Jerry just seem super jealous when Joan says intelligent things? She's not showing off, she's just being herself. I think he's just mad that he can't talk the way she does.
Yeah, some male ego involved there, it seems. Too bad she can't have a more intelligent and appreciative boyfriend. :lol:

The food and drink episode—do you mean when Joan/Cleostra gives them the little capsules?