Magic Island

This is the place to talk about anything and everything old time radio.
Kitty

Re: Magic Island

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:54 pm
Kitty wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:16 pm
P.S. Doesn't Jerry just seem super jealous when Joan says intelligent things? She's not showing off, she's just being herself. I think he's just mad that he can't talk the way she does.
Yeah, some male ego involved there, it seems. Too bad she can't have a more intelligent and appreciative boyfriend. :lol:

The food and drink episode—do you mean when Joan/Cleostra gives them the little capsules?
Yes, and they go into it all in such great detail.

So tell me how you picture all these characters. Do you see their features? Or do you just have a vague idea of hair color and facial shape?
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Tex - tall and slender, mustache, maybe balding slightly--looks a little like Addison on Mr. Ed, though probably a fair bit younger. He sounds kind of like Addison too, with the nasal voice.

Pat - don't have a clear picture of her. Maybe late 30's, medium length dark hair, squarish face, pleasant looking; a rather aristocratic air.

Cleostra (prettier name than Joan) - slender, not too tall, dark hair in kind of a Princess Leia-like style, intense dark eyes that crinkle when she smiles; very poised.

Jerry - lanky, medium-height teenager with kind of curly or kinky red hair--maybe some freckles, too; a big mouth. :D

Skipper - kind of a stooping, gray, zombie-like character of middle age. Wears one of those nor'easter hats and a heavy coat.

G47 - a weaselly skinny little man with very pale skin and graying hair slicked straight back; glasses; hunches when he walks; always a demeaning smirk on his face.

Commander - a taller, older version of Cleostra. Beautiful in an icy, forbidding way. Expressionless. Rigid posture, glistening white suit.

How do you picture them?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Wow! Your images are pretty complete. Let's see if I can give it a try.

Tex: I imagine him as a detective-looking type from the 40s, no facial hair, sort of looking like William Holden in Sunset Boulevard. I picture his hair as a dark brown and cut short as normal. He is almost 6 foot.

Pat: I don't have a clear picture of her face, either, but I do picture her with dirty blond hair, just past her shoulders, wavy. I think of her definitely with an aristocratic air. She is about 5 foot 5.

Cleostra: She looks much like an angel with curly light blonde hair, almost platinum. She is short, maybe five foot and thin. She looks as if she couldn't lift very much :lol:

Jerry: I don't picture him as very tall at all. He has brown hair. He seems to me like a square who pretends he is 'with it'. :lol: I picture him as an Archie-looking type, minus the red hair.

Skipper: He looks to me like a stubby New York type. I don't have facial features in mind, but I think of him as a not as cartoony looking Mario from Super Mario. He's not wearing a plumber uniform, though!!

G47: He looks exactly like Peter Lorre. Creepy, pudgy, threatening and evil. They allowed them to be much more evil than people realize back in the day. Very dark, but I love it!!

And here we come to the

Commander: She is lovely, model type, perfect. She also looks like an angel, but a young adult angel! Her hair is also very blonde, but her hair is to her waist. She is smart, and has some clever quips, and I almost wish that Jerry and she would fall in love so she could always keep him in his place!!!! :lol:
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Great descriptions! I like your Tex better than mine. And Jerry = Archie—that's perfect! :lol:

I have a hard time picturing Cleostra and the Commander as blondes, though. It fits perfectly (especially in Cleostra's case), but they've been brunettes in my mind for so long. :)

Yes, Peter Lorre would make a perfect G47. If they had ever made a movie of this, it would have been criminal not to cast him for it.

What do you think about the casting of the voice actors? I think it is pretty good—especially good in the case of Cleostra/Joan and the Commander. I get a kick out of hearing the Commander. She manages to sound feminine, authoritative, and robotic all at the same time. Every? Word? Is? Detached? And? Has? Upward? Pitch? Like? This? :lol:

The actress playing Pat has that formal-sounding accent that you tend to hear often in the movies of that era. A word like “first” is pronounced “fist,” and the r’s are trilled. So “What did you learn, Jerry?” comes out something like, “What did you lynn, Jeddy?”—almost like a pseudo-British accent.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I think who they picked was perfect--the ones who play the Euclidians are genius. It succeeds well in creating an image of a world of high scientific learning.
I think Pat's voice is cast well because it gives one the thought of a smart rich lady, not stuck up, but down to earth. Your examples of how they speak are spot on.
I read the commander's line in her voice. If I had a choice, I'd want to play her.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I just thought of something!!! The Euclidians and especially the commander sound like Daleks!!

https://youtu.be/mxD-5z_xHBU

Do you not think that it is a perfect comparison? (I'm listening to so many Magic Island in a row that I'm starting to speak like them :lol:)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:10 pm
Do you not think that it is a perfect comparison?
Precisely. ;)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

In on episode 100. It's amazing how far one can get while taking inventory of their books!! :)

donnie

Post by donnie »

Kitty wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:26 pm
I think Pat's voice is cast well because it gives one the thought of a smart rich lady, not stuck up, but down to earth.
I thought the discussion about the definition of "rich" in episode 80 was really funny "Are you rich in minerals or food substance, Mother?" :lol: . Joan is an interesting if increasingly unrealistic character—a colossal genius and yet an innocent child at the same time.
Kitty wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:48 pm
In on episode 100. It's amazing how far one can get while taking inventory of their books!! :)
Yes, it does go along rapidly. I got in a lot doing my cardio today. But I’m only on 84; I’ll have to do some catching up.
Kitty wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:10 pm
I'm listening to so many Magic Island in a row that I'm starting to speak like them.
I’m starting to find myself phrasing things in my mind that way too. :D And this afternoon I heard a buzzer go off on the oven timer, and my first thought was “Euclidian ray gun!”

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Yes, the rich discussion was pretty funny. And that's too funny that you thought that when your oven timer went off!!