Bob Hope

This is the place to talk about anything and everything old time radio.
dachshundonstilts

Bob Hope

Post by dachshundonstilts »

I think we've talked before about how Bob Hope's old shows don't hold up very well because most of the humor is topical and you "had to be there." Fortunately, the other day I tuned in to one of Hope's shows and heard him tell a character-based joke about none other than Jack Benny. It went something like this:

"I ran into Jack Benny in New York. He took me out to dinner... at the Automat. We had shrimp cocktail, tomato juice, and a green salad, and then the string broke on his nickel."
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)

Kitty

Re: Bob Hope

Post by Kitty »

Bahaha. That's hilarious! I have read two of George Burns' books, and his very best friend was Jack Benny. I love those stories he tells in his books.
Yes, Hope's show doesn't hold up as well as Jack's or Red's, I think, but they are still a joy to listen to. Some jokes surprise me as a little bit more adult sometimes.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

dachshundonstilts

Yeah, Hope was a little mischievous at times! And he was king of the ad lib. Used to drive Benny crazy when they'd do a sketch together and Hope never followed the script. But his ad libs would be funnier than what the writers had come up with, and Jack would spend most of his time trying not to laugh.
"I feel so low, old chap, that I could get on stilts and walk under a dachshund." - Monty, It (1927)

Mrs. Danvers

Post by Mrs. Danvers »

HaHa, liked the joke about Jack Benny. Jack Benny was no slouch in the movie department either. He starred in one of my all time favorite fantasy films, The Horn Blows at Midnight and George Washington Slept Here and To Be or Not To Be. Benny besides being a brilliant comedian was also a consummate actor. And I loved his TV show.

I do love the old Bob Hope movies. He was in an astounding amount of films. some quite good, The Ghost Breakers comes to mind along with my Favorite Brunette, Fancy Pants, The Paleface, Sorrowful Jones, The Great Lover, Boy, Did I Get a Wrong Number, Critic's Choice, just off the top of my head. Oh, Beau James and My Favorite Spy. I didn't like the road pictures with Bing much though.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001362/
We didn't need dialogue. We had faces!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Mrs. Danvers wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:13 am
I didn't like the road pictures with Bing much though.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001362/
I like Road To Bali. I tried one other that was in black and white that I didn't have much interest in.
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

dachshundonstilts

I've seen a lot of Benny's movies... some are much better than others. The three Mrs. Danvers mentioned are probably the best, and Charley's Aunt is quite funny too. I also kind of liked Artists and Models Abroad, as I recall.

Not seen a lot of Hope's pictures, but I enjoyed My Favorite Blonde.