The Story Lady

This is the place to talk about anything and everything old time radio.
Kitty

The Story Lady

Post by Kitty »

Have you heard of The Story Lady? It's an old time radio show where The Story Lady told literally 1 minute parodies of fairy tales. I love it!! I just remembered the radio show that I had listened to years ago, and it took two days to find it again, because I couldn't remember what it was called.
Well I found it! Here is the story of Romeo and Juliet.https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zjPl5vrpQx4
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

donnie

Re: The Story Lady

Post by donnie »

:lol: Pretty funny! This reminds me somewhat of the Fractured Fairytales on the old Rocky and Bullwinkle Show.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:09 pm
:lol: Pretty funny! This reminds me somewhat of the Fractured Fairytales on the old Rocky and Bullwinkle Show.
I think so, too!! I thought that might be the response this would get :)
You trying to tell me you didn't hear that shriek? That was something trying to get out of its premature grave, and I don't want to be here when it does. - Phantom of the Paradise (1974)

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

I'm listening to The Story Lady. Some of these are pretty racy! Joan Gerber was The Story Lady, and Byron Kane is the announcer.

donnie

Post by donnie »

I wonder where these originally appeared? On network radio between other programs I guess?

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 7:13 pm
I wonder where these originally appeared? On network radio between other programs I guess?
I asked an old time radio expert and am hoping to get a response soon. I am even unsure of the dates of broadcast. Hopefully we will find out soon!

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

donnie wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 7:13 pm
I found out that this appeared on a radio station called WKIP in Poughkeepsie NY. This clip comes from a book called Radio: The Book by a radio veteran named Steve Warren.
Screenshot_20180514-195441~01.png
Screenshot_20180514-195441~01.png (238.03 KiB) Viewed 4902 times
My radio expert friend named Keith Heltsley from retro-otr.com did a little research and found that this program was only broadcast in 1968. It was produced by Mel Blanc's production company, he says. He also says that at least 216 episodes exist, which means it probably aired Monday through Friday all year long.

donnie

Post by donnie »

Good sleuthing! I'm surprised it was as late as '68—nothing much but music and talk radio was on by that time.

Kitty

Post by Kitty »

Yeah, seems odd, doesn't it? Probably because it's more of a comedy moment instead of a real show. Speaking of later shows, did you know that south Africa had shows that were late, even into the 70s? They were dramas, and as a result of the late date, the quality is spectacular.

donnie

Post by donnie »

No, I did not know that. I know CBS had a mystery program that was on US stations up into the 70s, I believe. It was called Mystery Theatre. I don’t know how often it came on or when it was discontinued. What a shame TV obliterated all that radio used to be.